• Show
Clear All

please someone answer to my post
    "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
    I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
    Middle East!

Comment

How needy of you.

Crusades are blamed on deterioration of relations between christians and muslims, which is true, but what comes to my mind is that when muslims were attacking, converting, etc,. everything was fine. When they are being done the same - it is wrong, so wrong...
      That has occurred to me too many times. To the extent that this Indian book portrays it that way (I didn't read that far), I agree with your take, but I would note that this doesn't distinguish the Indian book from Western historical narratives. That doesn't make it RIGHT, mind you, it just means that if it's wrong it's wrong all over the place, not just in India.

Feel better now?

-Arrian
      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Heresson
        I don't see anything outrageous, while there are things I don't like:
        - Mecca depicted as religious center of Arabia prior to Islam; it is a muslim tradition, but in fact it has no basis.
        - Umayyads had "christian advisors in administration" - entire administration was made of local people for first centuries of islam, simply because muslims had no experience of administration of empire. It is even more silly that they admit that greek was the first language of administration...
        They omit everything controversial, true.
        What's biased is crusades part.
        Muslims were conquering the world for booty. Christians out of religious zeal. They do not mention persecution of christians, destruction of Holy Sepulchre, bah, they even write that pilgrims were OK.... the only reason for crusades is according to them neophite zeal, which is strange, taking into accound Hungarians and Slavs didn't participate but few in the crusades, and Normans strictly out of political reasons.

"Hostility towards the Muslim world became more pronounced in the eleventh century".
        they say, yet, they do not find conquering most of christian and nearly entire zoroastrian world as anything hostile.

As usually, it was necessary to mention the slaughter of Jerusalem, but to mention slaughter of Antioch, Tripoli, Antioch etc, each city with many times bigger population that Jerusalem, it was not found of any use. I doubt it is anything different in any european book, though
        Crusades are blamed on deterioration of relations between christians and muslims, which is true, but what comes to my mind is that when muslims were attacking, converting, etc,. everything was fine. When they are being done the same - it is wrong, so wrong...
        Yes, very wordy. Lot's of words in there, that's for sure.
        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by aneeshm

If this is the level of criticism I'm facing, then I think that the response was more than justified.
          The fact is that you both have a "colourful" (read: racist and bigoted) view of the world influenced by your acceptance of the fundamentals of the caste system ("look, i'm in a great caste! I must be great!") and you have a bizarre hatred for Islam (and ONLY Islam) that does not seem to ever be quite influenced by reason.

Just tell us right now: What is it you have against Islam that prompts you to create these tired threads on it?
          Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
          Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Tacc, whoever you are, don't get him started on that.
            “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
            "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi

your post is not even wordy
              Middle East!

Comment

Originally posted by Heresson
                please someone answer to my post
                It would help if it had some egregious errors for us to debunk.
                Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi

yeah, we needed an executive summary really.
                  www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Originally posted by aneeshm
                    ...When the BJP was in power...
                    Blow Job Party? They get my vote every time
                    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Well they certainly suck, at any rate.
                      ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

Originally posted by Doddler

yeah, we needed an executive summary really.
                        That is a response.
                        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

I was thinking the other day, the the middle ages really started completely with the muslims conquest of Syria egypt persia and north africa.
                          The barbarian invasions changed western europe, but the east and souther shores of the mediterranean hadnt changed that much, were still hellenistic.

Only after that the world was radically different to the point of saying we are in a new age-
                          I need a foot massage

Comment

yes, that's my view as well, and there are quite a few people who believe in this.
                            Middle East!

Comment

The idea is known as the "Pirenne Thesis", after Belgian (what else? ) historian Henri Pirenne.

(My personal view? The Middle Ages begin with the fall of the Western Empire by definition. Whether this was a more significant watershed than the Arabic conquests depends on what region we're talking about.)
                              Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                              The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Pirenne's thesis has been largely debunked, IIUC.

BTW, I think Brachy is Heresson's DL.
                                THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                                AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                                AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                                DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Working...
                                X