No announcement yet.

Your favorite of America's Favorite Architecture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, my favourite type of American architecture...
    Attached Files
    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
      Yankee Stadium... the Yankees fan in me cheers, but my objective side has to question it. It's got history, it's home to a great team, but it's not really an architectural masterpiece.
      I was wondering that myself. I haven't seen Yankee Stadium, but my impression is that it was just a big, old, ugly stadium like Tiger Stadium.

But again, it doesn't seem like the voters have really explored the world outside of the DC-NYC corridor too much.
      Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Why is Carhenge in Nebraska not on the list?

I'm not sure it qualifies as a "structure".
        KH FOR OWNER!
        ASHER FOR CEO!!
        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Who cares? When I saw it, it was truly inspirational. It made me think how crap Stonehenge really was, and how much British cars are about as well designed as big slabs of rock.
          One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Crap, the Disney Music Center made it. It's just a big pile of weird-looking junk.

I'm glad to see L.A. Union Station made it. It'd be even better if they didn't build condos and an office building right in front of it.

Thank God, our Cathedral didn't make it. It is one of the ugliest monstrocities ever constructed--a monument to Cardinal Mahoney's ego. Our multi-million dollar subway stations are also crap.

I'm surprised not to see a bunch of Vegas hotels. Some of them are magnificient--like the Venetian. And no sports stadiums?

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
              I'm surprised not to see a bunch of Vegas hotels. Some of them are magnificient--like the Venetian. And no sports stadiums?
              They had the Balagio.

And they had Wrigley Field, Yankee Stadium, Camden Yards, and... I think AT&T Park (SF Giants). Possibly more I'm not remembering.
              Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

How that list can have Yankee Stadium and not Fenway... even as a Yankee fan, that's silly.

-Arrian
                grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Quite a few that seem nice. The US Capitol (6) and the Chrysler Building (9) I've always loved. The Supreme Court (15) and TransAmerica Pyramid (61) are great too. A few I never really new before, but that look awesome, are the Biltmore Estate (8), St. Patrick's (11), Cathedral of St. John the Divine (23) and the Walt Disney Concert Hall (99).
                  Smile
                  For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
                  But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                    How that list can have Yankee Stadium and not Fenway... even as a Yankee fan, that's silly.
                    I thought it did?
                    Smile
                    For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
                    But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

I must've missed it, then. Is it beyond #100? If so, I just didn't get to it, b/c the site crapped out on me.

-Arrian
                      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

I agree with Dan about the DC Metro, very clean and modern design. If only NYC could accomplish this, I feel like I need a antibiotic shot every time I use one of their subway stations.
                        "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Working...
                        X