Your favorite of America's Favorite Architecture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your favorite of America's Favorite Architecture

The American Institute of Architecture has a top 150 list of American architecture. Apparently, the architects pared down the list to 300 or so and then the public was polled to determine the top 150 and the order.

What's your favorite? D.C. has lots of entries in the top 20 (the White House, the Capitol Bldg, Vietnam Mem'l, etc.), but here are 3 of my personal favorites from the city. 2 of the 3 were built around the turn of the 19th century.

#28 The Library of Congress -- The main reading room is amazing. If you're ever researching anything, then treat yourself to getting a researcher's card (it doesn't cost much).
    Attached Files
    Last edited by DanS; February 11, 2007, 21:59.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

#37 -- Union Station, which was renovated in the 1980s to its former glory. It now houses Metrorail (subway), Amtrak, MARC Maryland commuter rail, and VRE Virginia commuter rail. It has a mall, food court, and a movie theater.

Really nice Beaux Arts.
    Attached Files
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Detroit
      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

And #106 -- Washington Metrorail. One of the few 70s designs of note in this country. Concrete underground stations. Long escalators. Clean and modern. $1.35 to anywhere in the city.
        Attached Files

Comment

I liked the looks of Union Station.

JM
          Jon Miller-
          I AM.CANADIAN
          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
            Detroit
            Poor Detroit. Hasn't a single piece of architecture in the top 150.

Comment

The best architecture in Detroit were Motown lady singers, like Diana Ross.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

San Diego only had one winner but at least it number 18. San Francisco and LA seemed to do well though.
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

19. World Trade Center (1972-1977)
                  New York, NY; Minoru Yamasaki with Antonio
                  Brittiochi and Emery Roth & Sons
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

R.I.P.

Actually, there are several structures in the list that are no longer. Old Yankee Stadium, f.e.

Comment

DC Metro

Comment

New SLC library made the list.

I loved San Francisco and all of northern California when I was stationed there. San Francisco is interesting looking.

Comment

I've visited 36 out of top 150
                          12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Killing it is the new killing it
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                            And #106 -- Washington Metrorail. One of the few 70s designs of note in this country. Concrete underground stations. Long escalators. Clean and modern. $1.35 to anywhere in the city.

Do you even ride the metro? Costs me like 2.50 to get to work and 3.50 to get home. (would be 3.50 both ways if I didn't intentionally board the morning train after 9.30 just to save a buck).
                            Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

You aren't in the city, bub!

OK, there are some parts of the city that cost more -- i.e., if you're going edge to edge.

Comment

Working...
                              X