Mass Wootage!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by N35t0r

You mean the crappy japanese dialogues, most of which were re-written from the original Macross, dumbed down and massacred by the guys at Harmony Gold?
    Yes.

Still, Robotech was the first real exposure to anime I think a lot of young people in the west ever had, and as such it was leaps and bounds better than Transformers or GI-Joe or the other popular cartoons of the time. It had a real continuous story, and honestly it was also a lot more violent, which always helps make things popular with young boys.
    If you don't like reality, change it! me
    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I saw the first DVD and was impressed. The CGI animation was a bit to shiny and perfect without any human corrections. By that I mean if a human is flying a plane it isn't normal to fly in a perfect parabola and instead there is usually an over shoot and a correction but in the movie it was always perfect as one would expect of CGI. Also the CGI explosions sucked.

Other then that it was good though the plot was a tiny bit simplistic and didn't have any build up in the previous Robotech series; not even Sentinals.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
        The story line is what made the series and the fact that they came up with a good excuse for humans wanting a 50 foot tall robot (because the aliens were 50 feet tall).

Squared-cubed law > excuse for 50' tall robot (otherwise called "large, slow target")
        (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
        (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
        (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

But how big is their currency?
          ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

Originally posted by Straybow
            Originally posted by Oerdin
            The story line is what made the series and the fact that they came up with a good excuse for humans wanting a 50 foot tall robot (because the aliens were 50 feet tall).

Squared-cubed law > excuse for 50' tall robot (otherwise called "large, slow target")
            The squared-cubed law actually implies that offensive power increases with the cube while the profile presented to the enemy increases with the square (i.e. bigger is better) unfortunately, moving something like that is a PITA.

So "small, slow target."

Comment

Originally posted by joncha
              But how big is their currency?

Robots use digital currency.
              (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                The squared-cubed law actually implies that offensive power increases with the cube while the profile presented to the enemy increases with the square (i.e. bigger is better) unfortunately, moving something like that is a PITA.

Armor vs projectile: armor protection varies by cube (thickness and area) while penetration of that thickness of armor varies by energy/projectile cross section.

Bipedal form is not efficient for armor. Large surface area (squared) for the enclosed space (cubed).

Comment

Bipedal form is not efficient for armor. Large surface area (squared) for the enclosed space (cubed).

Agreed.

Comment

--"You mean the crappy japanese dialogues, most of which were re-written from the original Macross, dumbed down and massacred by the guys at Harmony Gold?"

Also Southern Cross and Mospeada. Harmony Gold took three unrelated series and combined them into one. And, as you note, the dub has really nothing to do with the original.

And it looks like 4Kids is carrying on the tradition these days...

In any case, if you're after giant robot action, check out the recently-released-in-the-US-on-DVD Gunbuster.

--"Bipedal form is not efficient for armor"

Yeah. Most mecha anime come up with some kind of technobable unobtanium to explain it away (ie. Gundanium). I find series like Patlabor, which don't claim any such thing, to be refreshing. In Patlabor the mechs are for primarily used in construction, and the military versions have clear disadvantages over conventional armor in most situations.

Wraith
                    "Are these cool times to be living in, or what? We've got giant robots walking around, sea monsters popping up."
                    -- Asuma ("Patlabor')

Comment

Originally posted by joncha
                      Direct-to-DVD is always a good sign.
                      They're episodes like a TV series so it isn't like they could have released it in a movie theater.
                      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I grew up in the 50's. I'm waiting for "The Further Adventures of Davy Crocket", "................Daniel Boone", ".................Wyatt Earp", "...................Bat Masterson", "...................Yancey Derringer", ".................Johnny Yuma", ".................The Rifleman", ".....................Roy Rodgers", and last but not least "...................The Lone Ranger".
                        "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Working...
                        X