Latin vs Greek

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mandarin or Cantonese?
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I'd like to say Greek, cause of all the early Bible stuff and classical philosophers. Which would be great to read in their original language. But I haven't even fully read Aristotle, Plato and the New Testament in English, so I doubt I'd make the effort to read everything in Greek if I were able.

So I'll go with Latin in hopes I'd be better able to understand modern Romance languages that I'd have more practical daily use for.
      Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
        Mandarin or Cantonese?
        The former of course.

Comment

I don't know why you say of course. It might be cool do speak a lesser language.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

1) My girlfriend speaks Mandarin

2) More people speak Mandarin than any of the others, by an order of magnitude. If I wanted to speak something obscure I'd choose Catalan.

Comment

Catalan is not obscure, it is very easy for a spanish speaker, and also quite easy for italian, portuguese speakers etc..
              Aymara or Basque are obscure
              I need a foot massage

Comment

If I didn't already know a fair bit of Spanish I'd've picked that.

Comment

Originally posted by Brachy-Pride
                  Catalan is not obscure, it is very easy for a spanish speaker, and also quite easy for italian, portuguese speakers etc..
                  Aymara or Basque are obscure
                  isn't it similar to french above all?
                  especially languedoc, provancal...?
                  "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                  I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                  Middle East!

Comment

I'll teach you Texan for a nominal fee. We can begin now.
                    You say Ming. Ming in Texan is Bastard.

Comment

While I prefer Greek to Roman culture and history Latin, though only used by the Pope, has far more applications for me. Once you start to actually get into it you can begin to decipher new words (seriously helped me out on the SAT), and in some cases craft them.
                      Lysistrata: It comes down to this: Only we women can save Greece.
                      Kalonike: Only we women? Poor Greece!

Comment

Failing that, Japanese.

Dude, Japanese is so easy to learn.
                        KH FOR OWNER!
                        ASHER FOR CEO!!
                        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

I mean including all the funny characters

And I'm absolutely terrible at languages. I only learned what French and Spanish I know because it's similar enough to English.

Comment

I'm lying. It's a ****ing nightmare. Take Chinese...
                            KH FOR OWNER!
                            ASHER FOR CEO!!
                            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

I can't even tell the difference between many Chinese words. My girlfriend will say four different words in a row and I'll be unable to distinguish any of them.

Comment

I think pronunciation is the only area where Japanese is easier than Chinese; discerning between different tones must be hard for native English speakers. The simpler grammar and rational and consistent use of the Chinese characters would seem to give Chinese the overall edge in ease of learning (although both languages are difficult). Learning to read Japanese is just a massive pain in the ass...
                                KH FOR OWNER!
                                ASHER FOR CEO!!
                                GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X