Latin vs Greek

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latin vs Greek

If you could press a button and magically learn greek or latin, which of those 2 languages would you choose and why?

I think that there is not big difference between the latin of the romans, medieval latin , renaissance latin etc etc
    but greek has changed, in this case the button would teach you classical greek and whatever greek you need to read the new testament and the greek church fathers.

Discuss
    Latin
    48.28%
    Greek
    51.72%
    Banana sign language
    0.00%
    I need a foot massage

Latin, because it would help me understand English and the romance languages better.
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Greek, because it's more difficult. You can learn Latin without magic.
      In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Latin.
        "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

Greek.

-Arrian
          grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Tamil.
            THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
            AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
            AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
            DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
              Tamil.
              Sanskrit you mean... the classical langauge of India
              I need a foot massage

Comment

THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Greek. I already know bits of Latin, so it would be a waste to spend the magic on that.
                  Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                  The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Greek. To read Homer, Herodotus and Xenophpn in-text. Though I believe Latin is harder to learn than Greek (more declenses).
                    Clash of Civilization team member
                    (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                    web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Latin
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Lenin.

Comment

Greek

it's in my curriculum and driving me crazy
                          I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

I'm totally undecided, because the Greeks were cool, but the Latin guys also really shaped the modern world.

Comment

Greeks have much more to do with India than Romans, if I recall correctly there were some greek kingdoms in India from Alexander the great until the Kushans and other barbarians from the steppes destroyed them.
                              I need a foot massage

Comment

Working...
                              X