A quandary...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A quandary...

How do you test internal bias? You can try asking people, but since most of us don't like to think of ourselves as biased, we won't necessarily admit to it on a questionnaire, even anonymously. But there's a test to detect the kind of bias people won't admit to and may not even be aware of themselves—a test that works. The psychologists who devised it, however, are squeamish about real-world uses of it. They shouldn't be. Though it shouldn't be used as the basis for hiring decisions, the test has its place.

In 2003, Mahzarin Banaji, Anthony G. Greenwald, and Brian Nosek published a paper detailing an experimental methodology they had developed called the Implicit Association Test, or IAT. Rather than asking subjects what they thought about different races (or what they thought they thought), Banaji and her colleagues decided to time them as they paired words and images.

In the test's most popular version, the Race IAT, subjects are shown a computer screen and asked to match positive words (love, wonderful, peace) or negative words (evil, horrible, failure) with faces of African-Americans or whites. Their responses are timed. If you tend to associate African-Americans with "bad" concepts, it will take you longer to group black faces with "good" concepts because you perceive them as incompatible. If you're consistently quicker at connecting positive words with whites and slower at connecting positive words with blacks—or quicker at connecting negative words with blacks and slower at connecting negative words with whites—you have an implicit bias for white faces over those of African-Americans. In other words, the time it takes you to pair the faces and words yields an empirical measure of your attitudes.

The elegance of Banaji's test is that it doesn't let you lie. What's being measured is merely the speed of each response. You might hate the idea of having a bias against African-Americans, but if it takes you significantly longer to group black faces with good concepts, there's no way you can hide it. You can't pretend to connect words and images faster any more than a sprinter can pretend to run faster. And you won't significantly change your score if you deliberately try to slow down your white = good and black = bad pairings.

Banaji, now a social psychologist at Harvard, has found that 88 percent of the white subjects who take her test show some bias against blacks. The majority of all subjects also test anti-gay, anti-elderly, and anti-Arab Muslim. Many people also exhibit bias against their own group: About half of blacks test anti-black; 36 percent of Arab Muslims test anti-Arab Muslim; and 38 percent of gays show an automatic preference for heterosexuals. (You can take the test yourself here; the results can be deeply humbling.)

The IAT, then, is an objective measure of bias. And research has shown that the test is powerfully predictive of behavior—as Banaji notes in refuting critics' claims that the test measures not individual bias but awareness of bias within society. People with high racial bias scores are more likely to choose a white partner to work with and more willing to cut funding for minority student groups. They're also more likely to judge minority suspects guilty in ambiguous situations and assign longer prison sentences to suspects with minority names.

"Everyone's a little bit racist sometimes," proclaims the Broadway musical Avenue Q. "Doesn't mean we go/ Around committing hate crimes/ Look around...

On the one hand, I think this test is total bull****. I fail to see how simply matching faces and words together will allow for the determining of a person's "internal bias." I certainly don't believe it's an "objective measure of bias" or a powerful predictor of behavior.

On the other hand, I took the test and came out with a slight preference for African-Americans. God knows I am loathe to pass up a chance for smug self-congratulation and proof that I'm not racist is a socially acceptable excuse to engage in it.

So, is it ok if I gloat about proving my moral superiority on race issues in a test that I think is a crock? Or should I have just kept quiet about my noble views on race in the interest of intellectual honesty?

You guys should also feel free to take the test. A few of you may even prove to be as enlightened as I am...
    Attached Files
    KH FOR OWNER!
    ASHER FOR CEO!!
    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

I ran into that test a couple weeks ago. I tested as having no preference.

Comment

Your Result
      Your data suggest a slight automatic preference for European American compared to African American.

The interpretation is described as 'automatic preference for European American' if you responded faster when European American faces and Good words were classified with the same key than when African American faces and Good words were classified with the same key. Depending on the magnitude of your result, your automatic preference may be described as 'slight', 'moderate', 'strong', or 'little to no preference'. Alternatively, you may have received feedback that 'there were too many errors to determine a result'.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Your Result
        Your data suggest a moderate automatic preference for African American compared to European American.

But I think I just got better at pressing the correct button in the second half of the test.
        THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
        AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
        AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
        DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Comment

I'm racist against blacks, mexicans and jews. They are good for nothing swindlers breathin all the White Man's air.

Comment

you have an implicit bias for white faces over those of African-Americans.
              duh

God I hope taxes didn't pay for this nonsense

Comment

I don't get the claim that this test doesn't let you "lie".
                In fact, the proposed methodology is extremely easy to consciously abuse :
                If I want to test positive for blacks, I just take my time to give positive to white and negative for blacks.

Also, on the issue of racism.
                I think I might have a slight unconscious racist bias.
                I think pretty much everyone has it.
                But I consciously try to control it.
                And I don't mean "tolerate" blacks, but I consciously think that my bias is dumb.
                Most people that know me would say that I'm one of the least racist person they know. (I've lived all over the world since I was a kid).

Same goes for other type of bias.

There are many dark corners in the humain brain (Ever heard of the Reptilian complex?). We have impulses to be violent etc. and those could be measured with suitable test, but most people can control them consciously.

Comment

If you tend to associate African-Americans with "bad" concepts, it will take you longer to group black faces with "good" concepts because you perceive them as incompatible. If you're consistently quicker at connecting positive words with whites and slower at connecting positive words with blacks - or quicker at connecting negative words with blacks and slower at connecting negative words with whites - you have an implicit bias for white faces over those of African-Americans.

So, an interesting comparison would be to see how blacks overall score on this test with regard to white people compared to whites overall with regard to black people.

The way it's being described, I get the feeling any disproportionality in results has more to do with preference of potential partners than any traditionally defined "bias" on the part of the person taking the test.

Comment

Having taken the skin tone test, this seems like a rather biased setup to me.

They lead off with saying that most people show a particular bias before you start the test. You shouldn't pollute the test subject with the results of the study before they take the test.

Then they place "bad" on the left and "good" on the right, even though it's almost always "good or bad", not "bad or good". Overcoming that natural tendancy to put good on the left takes practice, and so the order of placing the faces on the left must have some sort of effect. (And why do they give the practice with "good or bad" when "bad" won't ever be on the right later in the test?)

And finally they have a loaded question at the end about race and crime... either way you answer implies you agree that there is a racial element to crime.

Comment

Drake is racist against whites.
                      DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Cali should take the test.
                        THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                        AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                        AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                        DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Seems like you could trick this test once you got the hang of it.

-Arrian
                          grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

I find this kind of thing quite odious and Orwellian. It sets itself up to be a test for thought-crimes, despite obvious weaknesses.

Thought crimes are the kind of thing that the free west used to despise.

Comment

I'm not sure that the presence of this so-called internal bias has been or can be connected correlatively or causatively with racism or racist behavior.
                              Last edited by Lorizael; February 6, 2007, 10:59.
                              Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                              "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Working...
                              X