Two views of secularism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two views of secularism

This was an interesting point which I've been thinking about for some time.

In India, there are two traditional ways of looking as the concept of secularism as applicable to the state.

The first one is called धर्म निरपेक्षता - which means tradition secularism, where the state does not interfere in religion, treats all religion equally, and does not allow religion to interfere with its functioning.

The second is called सर्व धर्म समभाव - which means embracing all religions, and actively participating in them and acting in their best interests (as seen by the state).

Which is the better one? Which the more sustainable? Which more practical? Which fairer?

/me looks at the thread title

Indeed, my friend.
    This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

If the government is actively involved with religion then it is by definition not secular.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

The old title was better, very "Wtf Pekka?"-esque.
        The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Secularism supporting RCC would be the best I guess.

Nah.
          Active supporting all religions? It's impossible. They'd start fighting who is supported more and stuff.
          Also, if I created a church of my own, would the state have to build a giant cathedral for me and my 2 followers? Why not?
          It wouldn't work.

But I think it is silly to ignore reality and separate state and religion completely. What is being done in France is suicidial and absurd.
          Major traditional religions of a country should be respected. Not by favourable legislation, but if some great bishop or reknown muslim scholar dies - it wouldn't hurt to lower a flag for a moment. If there's Christmas it wouldn't hurt to send wishes etc, if the state would build a new capital, a place for temples of major religions should be granted etc.
          "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
          I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
          Middle East!

Comment

From my point of view, the first one. Clearly. The second one doesn't sound feasible.

-Arrian
            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Those squiggles look the same to me
              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

I like hindu script. It looks so noble, perhaps due to that the upper line is almost never broken.

यदा यदा हि धर्मस्य ग्लानिर्भवति भारत ।अभ्युत्थानमधर्मस्य तदात्मानं सृजाम्यहम्
                cool, because of the line
                Teh line woule be less cool if it was never broken, or if there wouldn't be some tiny bit sticking up to it.
                It looks a bit like laundry on a line.

॥४-७॥
                no line - sucks
                Middle East!

Comment

I think it looks better with no line. The line looks unnecessary because it's overused. You could write a just as understandable (and more legible) sentence without it. Plus, it allows us too better appreciate each little squiggle, which are usually lost in the line.
                  “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                  "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

I agree it looks cool. Is that A Hindu script or THE Hindu script?

Comment

without the line, it'd be all pointless hats and dragons, just like chinese script! It's Teh Line that holds it all together. Hindu script without a line would be like Cartman without Clyde Frog, or like muslim-loving aneeshm
                      Middle East!

Comment

Active supporting all religions? It's impossible. They'd start fighting who is supported more and stuff.
                        Also, if I created a church of my own, would the state have to build a giant cathedral for me and my 2 followers? Why not?
                        It wouldn't work.

Truth.

But I'm probably far more seperationist than Heresson. I disagree with France's social experimentation, but I do think the government shouldn't get involved in religion. Allow religion to do as it will without barrier (well, unless it violates other laws... ie, human sacrifice won't fly) and without support.
                        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Heresson
                          without the line, it'd be all pointless hats and dragons, just like chinese script! It's Teh Line that holds it all together. Hindu script without a line would be like Cartman without Clyde Frog, or like muslim-loving aneeshm
                          The line is the chain holding them together. It's a symbol of oppression and conformity. Free the scribbles!
                          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion
                            I agree it looks cool. Is that A Hindu script or THE Hindu script?

Neither. It is TEH Hindu script.
                            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

The scribbles would be NOTHING without Teh Line. The line is for them like a tree to the leafs, like mother to quintuplets in her tummy, it gives them nutrients and oxygen. Without it, they'd fall down, dry off and be carried away by the wind...
                              Middle East!

Comment

Working...
                              X