Can Humanity Handle Immortality?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Humanity Handle Immortality?

Someone (Lord Shiva?) said in another thread that they may "cure" aging in our lifetimes and drastically extend human life spans. What would that mean for society?

Can our civilization, culture and society continue in such a world?
    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

No. The world isn't prepared to cope with people living to be 125. Living to be 125 doesn't speak to anything of your ability to function and "contribute".
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Was I drunk?
      THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
      AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
      AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
      DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

When aren't you?
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

If you mean drunk on teh joy of existence, the answer is NEVARRR!
          THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
          AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
          AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
          DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Only way to be.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
              No. The world isn't prepared to cope with people living to be 125. Living to be 125 doesn't speak to anything of your ability to function and "contribute".

Comment

If the life span is extended, along with how long one is actually USEFUL, yes. But what's the point of living to be 200 years old, if you are decrepit and useless at 75?

Comment

No.
                  Why doing it the easy way if it is possible to do it complicated?

Comment

once I start to need depends, end my horrible existance

especially if I cant change them myself
                    anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

The idea is not to merely extend the life expectancy of senile, blind and deaf really old people, but to extend the healthy life expectancy. Otherwise the discussion is pointless.

Would you want to live to 200/500/infinity(make your choice) if you knew you'd be as healthy as, say, a 40 year old?
                      "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

How life is now? No, not really.

JM
                        Jon Miller-
                        I AM.CANADIAN
                        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Re: Can Humanity Handle Immortality?

Originally posted by OzzyKP
                          Someone (Lord Shiva?) said in another thread that they may "cure" aging in our lifetimes and drastically extend human life spans. What would that mean for society?

Can our civilization, culture and society continue in such a world?
                          It would mean we'd have to chuck most of society out and start again. Not a particular problem.

Comment

Overpopulation would be a biatch...
                            I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

I don't think overpopulation would really be that big a problem (any larger then it already is and is expected to be over the next 100 years) with a large (200 year) lifespan developed gradually over the next 50 years, in every nation life extent ion has brought down the children born per women.

Look at Japan their Elder population is greater then any society the earth has ever known, its a stress but its not tearing their society apart and their developing a lot of compensating technology (robots) in the US drug research is the focus.

Humans have basically conquered infectious disease in the developed world and this doubled average life expectancy but did nothing for maximum life expectancy. That will require a similar thrashing of degenerative disease which is now the focus. Their a two parts to that tissue regeneration/replacement technologies that keep the physical body usable longer, and drugs that can slow or halt the breakdown of the brain. That could give use the 200 years, beyond that will probably require some kind of whole body genetic repair/upgrade process.

I think society could adapt to the 200 year span much as its adapted to the 80 year life span. People would see our current lives as nasty brutish and short. More liberal views on euthanasia both voluntary and involuntary would keep senility from being a major burden for society or the individual. Over 200 years your getting into the zone ware society as we know it is fundamentally altered, people would really start to get tired of living before the onset of senility and choose to euthenics themselves or forgo medical treatment. True immortality or lifespans in excess of 500 years would likely only be appealing to a small number of people who would likely be somewhat shunned by the rest of society. Theirs a slim chance people alive today could live forever (which for betting purposes we will just put at 10,000 years), I'd put odds at 100/1.
                              Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche

Comment

Working...
                              X