Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: For the Maya

Originally posted by pchang
    their era of existence ended a long time ago. Clearly 2012 was a poor predictor.
    QFT
    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

I think this is a case of the Mayans simply not bothering to extend their calendar any further. Like the digital watch I had as a boy, it predicted the world would end in 2029!

Unfortunately, its world ended in 1979 - mere seconds after I decided to test if it was waterproof by dropping it into a glass of water..

Comment

Anyway, the Mayan calendar...what do you think?
        Ever hear of the Age of Aquarius? Ages are defined by celestial events, the heliacal rising of a particular constellation on the solstice or equinox for example. While Mayan ages may have ended with some calamity there have been 4 or 5 over the last ~15-25 thousand years so it aint like the world is going anywhere.

It is possible the Maya and their predecessors had been calculating the period of a comet that buzzed us a few thousand years ago and figured out it will return to our vicinity in 2012.

Comment

Originally posted by Winston
          Unfortunately, its world ended in 1979 - mere seconds after I decided to test if it was waterproof by dropping it into a glass of water..
          When I was 10 I had a watch with a little microphone which would say the time whenever you wanted. It failed the waterproof test too and never spoke again.
          "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

For fear of reprisals, I had to tell my dad that I'd forgotten to take it off before a shower. So I managed to get a new one, and this time it was a Casio with hourly chimes, stop watch and alarm clock functions. Cutting edge of technology! It was my most prized possession for several years.

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Galis
              Besides, I always thought Lord Mayor a cool title. Perhaps, given my distance, I can find his antics amusing much as some posters found the antics of the Turkmenbashi amusing

Ken Livingstone is not the Lord Mayor of the City of London, it's some other dude. Ken is just plain old Mayor of London
              One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Winston
                For fear of reprisals, I had to tell my dad that I'd forgotten to take it off before a shower. So I managed to get a new one, and this time it was a Casio with hourly chimes, stop watch and alarm clock functions. Cutting edge of technology! It was my most prized possession for several years.
                I bet you had one with all the timezones of the world on a little map as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Eli
                  When I was 10 I had a watch with a little microphone which would say the time whenever you wanted. It failed the waterproof test too and never spoke again.
                  A little speaker, surely. A microphone would allow you to tell the watch what the time was.

Comment

That would be neat.
                    "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus
                      I bet you had one with all the timezones of the world on a little map as well.
                      No, no. It was the exact same model as that of 5 other boys in my class. And all the watches were perfectly synchronized (by way of every one of us checking the speaking clock on the phone at least twice a week). So we put on quite a show for the hourly chimes and select alarm clock events, such as recess of class.

Comment

I remember it was only a matter of time before the chimes were banned. A whole school full of chimes going off at 9.00am assembly did not go down well.

Comment

It's much cooler to have everyone's watches desynchronized with a 5 seconds gap between every watch. So you have a minute or two of constant chiming and the teacher can't blame anyone for not shutting it down.

Comment

That would have been cool, but I'm afraid we were all much too competitive to settle on who were to add the 5, 10 and so on seconds. Why, the utmost precision was a matter of manly honour.

Ah, those were the days. Yes the hourly chimes were eventually banned , but we had plenty of fun in a multitude of other ways. For example, once a month through grades 1-7 we had a visit from the school dentist's assistant, for rinsing/flushing of our teeth with a solution containing flouride. We each got a little plastic cup with the solution for swirling it around in our mouths for 2 minutes. So of course we set our alarm clock watches, and at the precise moment when the 2 minutes were up, we all protested vigorously, still swirling, by going "mmph-mmph!" and pointing at our wrists.

I found a picture of some Casio watches from that era. Ours was the one third from the left, second row.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Winston; February 5, 2007, 06:18.

Comment

Starting at bottom left, go 1 up and 1 across. It is an interesting no time piece design.
                              One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Yes, it must've been intended for the Mayan market segment.

Comment

Working...
                                X