Suicide Bomber Kills 102 in Baghdad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suicide Bomber Kills 102 in Baghdad

It seems like eventually there would be a suicide bomber shortage.

By KIM GAMEL
    Associated Press Writer

BAGHDAD, Iraq (AP) -- A suicide truck bomber struck a market in a predominantly Shiite area of Baghdad on Saturday, killing at least 102 people among the crowd buying food for evening meals, the biggest strike in the capital in more than two months.

The attacker was driving a truck carrying food when he detonated his explosives, destroying stores and stalls that had been set up in the busy outdoor Sadriyah market, police said.

The late-afternoon explosion was the latest in a series of attacks against commercial targets in the capital as insurgents seek to maximize the number of people killed ahead of a planned U.S.-Iraqi security sweep.

Many of the injured were driven to the hospitals in pickup trucks and lifted onto stretchers.

"It was a strong blow. A car exploded. I fell on the ground," said one young man with a bandaged head, his face still streaked with blood.

Officials said at least 102 people were killed and more than 200 wounded.

It was the deadliest attack in the capital since Nov. 23, when suspected al-Qaida in Iraq fighters attacked the capital's Sadr City Shiite slum with a series of car bombs and mortars that struck in quick succession, killing at least 215 people.

A suicide bomber also crashed his car into the Bab al-Sharqi market, near Sadriyah, on Jan. 22, killing 88 people. The surge in violence comes as Sunni insurgents have stepped up attacks against Shiite targets in an apparent bid to maximize the number of people killed ahead of a planned U.S.-Iraqi security sweep.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Re: Suicide Bomber Kills 102 in Baghdad

Originally posted by SlowwHand
    The new plan for stabilizing Iraq - wait till the Iraqis have all blown themselves up
    Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
    The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Bombing slums and markets. Nice.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Idiots. If they had focused all their efforts on infrastructure attacks and assassinations only, they would've been much more popular among the people, and in the eyes of the decision-makers it would've seemed more damaging than the deaths of another 100 darkies.
        "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

Re: Suicide Bomber Kills 102 in Baghdad

I know. I keep waiting for sanity tor return to that region but it just doesn't.

If someone asked me to drive a truck full of explosives into a marketplace filled with innocent people and kill them and myself, my first reaction would be to hit that person on the top of his head with a hammer...really hard.

Comment

I have heard that some of the suiciders are coerced by threats to families. Do we know that for sure? WHat do we know about these guys?

Comment

Only 1 guy kills over 100?
              I need a foot massage

Comment

How many terrorists were on the planes that brought down the wtc? They're not Rambo. My mother could do what they do, if she was a ****forbrains.

Comment

Yes I know, but I thought the bomb-trucks were not that powerful, in 9/11 they used huge planes which is different.

Poor people, it is like in Israel years ago when Palestinians would blow up in super markets, restaurants, streets etc, any moment any day anywhere they could die.
                  I need a foot massage

Comment

Attacking military is one thing, attacking civilians is another. I don't know how they expect to gain any sympathy for their cause. Maybe they think they don't need any, which speaks to their stupidity.

Comment

Attacking military is one thing, attacking civilians is another. I don't know how they expect to gain any sympathy for their cause. Maybe they think they don't need any, which speaks to their stupidity.
                      It's not about gaining sympathy. Quit being such a wussified Westernized wimp. It's about instilling fear. It's about firing your own guys up. It's about killing Shia when you are Sunni.

Comment

They need a better hobby.

Comment

They need a better hobby.
                          I think we need someone to get into their heads more. I nominate you, Eyes or Che for the recon mission.

Comment

Don't lump me in with those 2. I'll go, but I'll go alone.

Comment

Don't lump me in with those 2. I'll go, but I'll go alone.
                              I only need one man if he's the right one.

Comment

Working...
                              X