It is so cold that...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It is so cold that...

My fellow Angelenos are complaining about how cold it's been -- highs in the 60s, lows in the 40s. I got to thinkin' that Poly has some people from places that get really cold: Canada, Finland, Latvia, etc. You people have to have some good stories.

Once it go so cold that I wore a toque outside.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Beard is bothersome in cold weather.
      I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
        Once it go so cold that I wore a toque outside.
        It's only been -10 lately. I'm leaving mine at home
        Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

My eyelids froze together

Some wind blew grit in my eyes and they started tearing. I tried to blink the grit out and closed my eyes for about 30 seconds. When I tried to open them, they were stuck together. The tears had frozen over my eyelashes. I had to take my gloves off to break the ice off my eyelashes.

Consider that tears have salts and other organic chemicals in it that makes its freezing point lower than regular water.
          “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

We had ice yesterday.
            "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

since 2 ****ing weeks, the temperature is around -15 to -25c ...
              but today is hot hot hot...around -5c
              bleh

Comment

Re: My eyelids froze together

Originally posted by pchang
                Some wind blew grit in my eyes and they started tearing. I tried to blink the grit out and closed my eyes for about 30 seconds. When I tried to open them, they were stuck together. The tears had frozen over my eyelashes. I had to take my gloves off to break the ice off my eyelashes.

Consider that tears have salts and other organic chemicals in it that makes its freezing point lower than regular water.
                That is MoFo cold!

Comment

When I made my military service we should do a stupid thing with napalm. We built a tunnel with two by fours and covered it with pin tree branches. We were to put the napalm on the pine tree branches and set it on fire. Then we should run beneath it... Problem was that the barrels of napalm had been out in the cold for an hour or so and had set so it was the texture of marmelade and just rolled off the "roof" of the tunnel...

But who the **** uses napalm nowadays anyway?
                  I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

So...Very...Cold...
                    You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Re: Re: My eyelids froze together

Originally posted by Zkribbler

That is MoFo cold!

Not really. If it's around -20C and windy stuff like that tends to happen, especially if you don't cover your face. Of course, from a californian perspective -20C is probably damn damn cold

Anyway, the winter here has been a joke. We didn't get any real snow until after christmas and now it's already melting away. The temperature didn't go below -20 so far and it's probably too late now to experience real cold this winter
                      The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Zoid

But who the **** uses napalm nowadays anyway?
                        I hear it smells nice in the morning. Don't start the day without it.
                        I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Those wonderfull few minutes spent in agony while your toes de-freeze after playing hockey outside. Or the idiot who got his tongue frozen to the side of the window frame on the school bus.
                          What?

Comment

Jack London had a story where he described how you could know the appoximate temperature by spitting.

Just found it: "To Build A Fire"

As he turned to go on, he spat speculatively. There was a sharp, explosive crackle that startled him. He spat again. And again, in the air, before it could fall to the snow, the spittle crackled. He knew that at fifty below spittle crackled on the snow, but this spittle had crackled in the air. Undoubtedly it was colder than fifty below--how much colder he did not know.
                            To Build a Fire, Page 1: Read To Build a Fire, by Author Jack London Page by Page, now. Free, Online.
                            No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by Richelieu
                              Those wonderfull few minutes spent in agony while your toes de-freeze after playing hockey outside. Or the idiot who got his tongue frozen to the side of the window frame on the school bus.
                              I remember my high school science teacher telling us how, when he was a kid in Michigan, it was manly to put your tongue to a metal pole, let the tongue tip freeze to the pole, and then pull your tongue away, leaving a small patch of skin behind. When he tried, though, he chickened out. He tried to get free by adding more moisture, i.e. by sticking more of his tongue onto the pole. Pretty soon, the whole length of his tongue plus the front of his face was stuck to the pole. He only got free because someone poured a pan of warm water down the pole. He walked around for days with a red stripe down the middle of his face.

Comment

Working...
                              X