Will anyone stop the Iranian nuke?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turning to slavery takes at least 1 turn, noobs
    I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Not if you're spiritual.
      You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Really, you should have stated the exception.
        You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
          No one stopped NK, Israel, India, Pakistan, Soth Africa, China, France, the UK, or the USSR (not putting the US because they were first and working on it secretly).

Any state that feels they national interests demand they have a nuke will get them unless it is physically destroyed or conquered. The question is how to change that calculation of national interests. Threats of destruction or impoverishment have usually not worked, since they only intensify the logic for getting nukes.
          carry out the threats *after* they have the nukes to break that logic.

Comment

Originally posted by Geronimo

carry out the threats *after* they have the nukes to break that logic.
            And gain what? Threat of invasion or conquest becomes counterproductive after they have nukes, because the principle of non-poliferation is worth less than the reality of suffering from nuclear attack. As for attempts at impoverishment, regimes that are able to project some form of legitimacy have shown themselves quite capable to sitting out such policies, whatever the detrement to their populace might be, as long as the legitimacy of that reigme is based on some ideology that allows for isolation. The apartheid regime in South Africa fell because its internal legitimacy was highly questionable in the age of popular soverignty, plus white South Africa defined itself as part of the Western world, and isolation from it was to great a cost to bear.
            If you don't like reality, change it! me
            "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
            "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
            "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

And gain what? Threat of invasion or conquest becomes counterproductive after they have nukes, because the principle of non-poliferation is worth less than the reality of suffering from nuclear attack.

Bzzzzzt. We have a lack of reading comprehension here.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                And gain what? Threat of invasion or conquest becomes counterproductive after they have nukes, because the principle of non-poliferation is worth less than the reality of suffering from nuclear attack.

Bzzzzzt. We have a lack of reading comprehension here.
                You are certainly displaying that quite well.

Comment

You have this bad habit of having faulty/false premises that render the rest of your argument worthless.

Comment

You have this bad habit of having faulty/false premises that render the rest of your argument worthless.

This coming from a kid who never has an arguement to begin with?

Wait, lets go back to 2003 and dig up those old Iraq threads from then, and lets look at "false premises."

Comment

Originally posted by GePap

And gain what? Threat of invasion or conquest becomes counterproductive after they have nukes, because the principle of non-poliferation is worth less than the reality of suffering from nuclear attack. As for attempts at impoverishment, regimes that are able to project some form of legitimacy have shown themselves quite capable to sitting out such policies, whatever the detrement to their populace might be, as long as the legitimacy of that reigme is based on some ideology that allows for isolation. The apartheid regime in South Africa fell because its internal legitimacy was highly questionable in the age of popular soverignty, plus white South Africa defined itself as part of the Western world, and isolation from it was to great a cost to bear.
                      carrying out the threat of invasion or conquest after they have gotten the nukes might prove to be counterproductive in the short run only.

The huge long term bonus would be shredding the current perception that nukes=invulnerability from such threats.

[edit I hadn't realized how 'legitimacy' forms a cornerstone of your post]

Comment

So Iranians are Spiritual and...? Muslim civilizations cannot be Aggressive, it's teh racist
                        I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Geronimo

carrying out the threat of invasion or conquest after they have gotten the nukes might prove to be counterproductive in the short run only.

The huge long term bonus would be shredding the current perception that nukes=invulnerability from such threats.
                          Except that by having nukes you invariably make the likelyhood of anyone else, including the other state's own people support such a war relatively small, unless those people believe the treat is sufficient, and last time I looked the "principle of non-proliferation" is not something anyone is willing to die for.

Besides, carrying out a war despite an enemy having nukes does not negate the worth of getting nukes. It only increase the worth of getting enough of them quickly enough to make MAD viable.

Comment

This coming from a kid who never has an arguement to begin with?

More evidence of the fact that you simply cannot understand what other people say.

Comment

I'll be nice and explain it to you: Geronimo's central assumption is that the principle of non-proliferation is long-term more valuable than preventing the damage caused by a couple nukes. You open your response with an blanket dismissal of one of the assumptions in the argument (without even realizing it) and then go off onto some irrelevant tangent about sanctions and legitimacy.

Comment

I'll be nice and explain it to you: Geronimo's central assumption is that the principle of non-proliferation is long-term more valuable than preventing the damage caused by a couple nukes. You open your response with an blanket dismissal of one of the assumptions in the argument (without even realizing it) and then go off onto some irrelevant tangent about sanctions and legitimacy.

My point, if you failed to grasp it, is that Geronimo is probably alone in such a belief, and as such, to assume the world will or should work based on that assumption is utterly non-realistic.

And why is Geronimo so alone in this belief that the concept of non-proliferation is so totally important? Because it is contradictory to state that non-proliferation is some immensly valuable goal while stating that having a small nuclear exchange is "worth it." The whole point of non-proliferation is that nuclear weapons are so, SO, terrible that they must be limited period. If nuclear weapons are so terrible, then any situation in which they might be employed is already too far.

So either they are so terrible that you must do all you can to stop their spread, OR, they are not that terrible, so you can afford a war which would include a limited nuclear exchange because the spread of thse weapons, which we can accept being used, is too terrible a thing to allow.

Comment

Working...
                                X