Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Hinduism incompatible with American pluralism?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VetLegion
    Hinduism seems to be compatible with pluralism. But what if Hindus would become a majority in some western country - would they demand constitutional protection of cows and such things? I'm serious. Would they?
    I don't think so, no. There are far too many carnivorous Hindus for that to ever happen. And Hindus usually integrate pretty well, even if it means eating stuff which is discouraged, so even if they became a majority, they'd be eaters of beef by then, as they usually are now. Just look at LordShiva - he eats beef.

Even in India, it will never happen and can't happen, because of the opposition from the majority itself.

It's maybe a little sad and a bit pathetic, but Indians usually are more passionate about their food then their religion in foreign countries.

Comment

Originally posted by Whoha

None of those groups make up a major percentage of the population in your country. If you replaced the however many hundred million Muslims in India with another group you'd still have problems, different problems perhaps, but problems.
      I'd disagree. There was, in fact, a time when Hinduism, or the orthodox traditions, were in a minority - during the Buddhist-Jain period. But that didn't cause trouble, did it?

Comment

I don't know, if the Buddhist-Jain's wanted to remain in the majority(as opposed to less then a % each) then they had a problem

Comment

There was a time when India was majority Buddhist. It was Adi Shankar who won the masses back to Hinduism.

Comment

Originally posted by Tacc
            I think the real question we need to be asking is:

Is Aneeshm incompatible with posting about something not Desi?
            Fixed.
            B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by aneeshm
              There was a time when India was majority Buddhist. It was Adi Shankar who won the masses back to Hinduism.
              In that case then you aren't talking about integrating or assimilating anyone, or different cultures.

Comment

Re: Is Hinduism incompatible with American pluralism?

This is quite an interesting question.
                Not really.
                ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

Re: Re: Is Hinduism incompatible with American pluralism?

Originally posted by joncha

Not really.
                  That's subjective, as I'm sure you're aware.

Comment

The mind-numbing dullness of your ideas is a matter of objective fact.
                    ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

Originally posted by Whoha

In that case then you aren't talking about integrating or assimilating anyone, or different cultures.
                      Well, yes, there you're right.

Comment

No it isn't. If it were, we'd have a severe shortage of 7-11 cashiers.
                        Last edited by Wycoff; February 1, 2007, 16:07.
                        I'm about to get aroused from watching the pokemon and that's awesome. - Pekka

Comment

aneeshm - Poly's leading cause of hindophobia
                          Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                          The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Nah, the real question is:

Is Communism incompatible with American capitalism?
                            Already answered, and quite obvious: of course it's incompatible. And if Hinduism is incompatible with American pluralism, Hinduism's gonna have to be the one to change, since dammit, American pluralism was here (in America) first. Either that you can stay there with the rotting carcasses and feral dogs you're surrounded by now that you've poisoned all your vultures by accident (credit: National Geographic or Smithsonian magazine, forget which).
                            1011 1100
                            Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Dogs
                              THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                              AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                              AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                              DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Working...
                              X