Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Hinduism incompatible with American pluralism?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Hinduism incompatible with American pluralism?

This is quite an interesting question. Lot of people (me included) believe that Islam cannot fit into the pluralist model America and Europe have instituted, due to its nature. But can the same be said of Hinduism, too (for totally different reasons)?

It's a rather long article, but quite an interesting one, so I recommend it be read in its entirety. Like this issue itself, it cannot be simplified further.

Link

Please don't reply without reading the article, because you will almost inevitably come to the wrong conclusion if you do (because of the nature of the topic).

pluralism/multiculturalism/etc itself does not work. Its not that one single culture in the group is causing the problem.

Comment

I think it does, you know, when done right. We in India have managed to integrate the Jews, Parsees, Sikhs, Jains, Buddhists, Christians, basically everyone except the Muslims, for millennia now. These people have fit right into Indian society.

But as I said, you missed the point entirely, probably because you did not read the article. Please read it, because it deals with complex issues which cannot be described by just a thread name. It didn't really deal with the stuff you brought up.

Comment

it can be so. I didn't hear about problems Konfucionists or Buddhists are having with democracy and adaptation in western societies.
        "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
        I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
        Middle East!

Comment

Good lord yet another Christianity is teh intolerant thread.
          "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Originally posted by Heresson
            it can be so. I didn't hear about problems Konfucionists or Buddhists are having with democracy and adaptation in western societies.
            Goddammit, read the article!

Comment

Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe
              Good lord yet another Christianity is teh intolerant thread.
              AAAARRRGHHHH!!!

You didn't read it either, did you?

Comment

I think the real question we need to be asking is:

Is Aneeshm incompatible with American pluralism?
                Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Originally posted by Tacc

Nah, the real question is:

Is Communism incompatible with American capitalism?

Comment

Originally posted by aneeshm

AAAARRRGHHHH!!!

You didn't read it either, did you?
                    I scanned enough to see the way the article was going. Judeo, chrisitianic influences into secularism etc. Who cares?

Y'all are welcome.

Especially the hawt indian womenz.

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Originally posted by Tacc

You didn't read the article!
                      Blah

Comment

Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe

I scanned enough to see the way the article was going. Judeo, chrisitianic influences into secularism etc. Who cares?

Y'all are welcome.
                        The author said that the tradition that evolved out of the different Protestant sects is a very good thing, but that to accommodate non-Christian traditions, it needs to be made into an even better thing, and we need to try out new stuff.

That's why I told you to read the thing fully.

Comment

Again just bring on the wenches.

Comment

Originally posted by aneeshm
                            I think it does, you know, when done right. We in India have managed to integrate the Jews, Parsees, Sikhs, Jains, Buddhists, Christians, basically everyone except the Muslims, for millennia now. These people have fit right into Indian society.

But as I said, you missed the point entirely, probably because you did not read the article. Please read it, because it deals with complex issues which cannot be described by just a thread name. It didn't really deal with the stuff you brought up.
                            None of those groups make up a major percentage of the population in your country. If you replaced the however many hundred million Muslims in India with another group you'd still have problems, different problems perhaps, but problems.

Comment

Hinduism seems to be compatible with pluralism. But what if Hindus would become a majority in some western country - would they demand constitutional protection of cows and such things? I'm serious. Would they?

Comment

Working...
                              X