Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alleged UK terror plot to behead a muslim British soldier doesn't make 'poly.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alleged UK terror plot to behead a muslim British soldier doesn't make 'poly.

Oh well.

The fact that 9 people had to get together to plot (and fail) to kill one relatively unprotected and unimportant person tells me everything I need to know about the level of sophistication of these morons.
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Seriously, is this supposed to strike fear into my heart? It makes me laugh, like Richard Reid.
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Re: Alleged UK terror plot to behead a muslim British soldier doesn't make 'poly.

Last year there were some foiled terror plots which weren't discussed here at all
        Blah

Comment

Of course it remains to be seen whether the police have got it right for a change, and that this isn't another of their blunders.

Comment

What happened with those cops that killed the Brazilian guy? Whatever happened with that?
            I never know their names, But i smile just the same
            New faces...Strange places,
            Most everything i see, Becomes a blur to me
            -Grandaddy, "The Final Push to the Sum"

Comment

I dunno, but a lot of people tried to make far too much capital out of it, including silly conspiracy theories and hypocritical Brazilian politicians (whose coppers summarily execute far more people than the Met).

It was a bad mistake, but the reaction was pretty dumb too.

Comment

Re: Alleged UK terror plot to behead a muslim British soldier doesn't make 'poly.

Originally posted by Cort Haus
                Oh well.
                since almost every discussion of such a terr attack ends up with either a pointless discussion of certain verses of the Koran, highlighted by accusations of being either PC or racist, OR ends up being about teh EEVIL bush and Blair have made us all afraid so they can institute a fascist dictatorship, usually moving on to a discussion of Jeb Bush and hanging chads, the 1954 Guatemalan coup, etc, etc, OR ends up being about religion in general and christian fundamentalism in America, with a detailed discussion of what Leviticus says about gays, references to a flying spagetti monster, and a fair amount of pop-Nietzcheanism, OR ends up being about Israel, and we get anything from confused discussions of Turkish land law to accusations of colonialism, racism, antisemitism, etc I have basically given up on Poly as a useful forum for discussing this sort of thing.
                "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                  Seriously, is this supposed to strike fear into my heart? It makes me laugh, like Richard Reid.
                  Since youre not a british muslim soldier, Im not clear why it would strike fear into your heart.

The important take aways

1. Brit police did good work, including using the tools currently availble to them.
                  2. This is a war WITHIN Islam, and the baddies know it, and thats why they target the way they do.
                  "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

I used to live in the part of Birmingham where some of these arrests were made. Even 15 years ago, long before the current situation wrt religious extremism, gangs of muslim men used to go around with big sticks enforcing their version of the law against prostitutes. It actually became dangerous for women to be out alone, so the area certainly has a long history in 'direct action'.

What's striking - if the story is true, is the policy of intending to murder people from the own 'identity' who work for 'the other side'. This tactic is a staple for secessionist groups who start by murdering those they accuse of being 'collaborators'.

Comment

Since youre not a british muslim soldier, Im not clear why it would strike fear into your heart

a) While they may have been aiming more directly at muslim "collaborators", I have no doubt that they wanted to affect the general public as well

b) My point is that my general level of amusement at their terror skillz should be shared by everybody else. Amusement is the opposite of terror. These guys are anti-terrorists, like the guys in Canada who wanted to blow up Parliament and behead the PM, but who had been under RCMP, US and British supervision since hatching their pathetic plan.

I get the feeling that a lot of the Muslim terrorists who grew up in Western countries are pathetic failures in real life, and thus have a low average ability even in such an undemanding profession as suicidal terrorist in an open, free, multicultural society.

Whoever's left from the PIRA's glory days must be laughing their asses of at this patheticness.
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Whoever's left from the PIRA's glory days must be laughing their asses of at this patheticness.
                        "Glory days" is not how I would have described their atrocities.

Comment

I was being mildly ironic in using that term.

The provos committed many atrocities, but:

a) They were far more capable than most of the numbkulls we see today

b) They did not generally aim for maximum carnage, again unlike the new brand of terrorist
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Wasn't he the gay guy who played the dad on Brady Bunch?

No wonder Florence Henderson was doin Greg Brady.
                            "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Since youre not a british muslim soldier, Im not clear why it would strike fear into your heart

a) While they may have been aiming more directly at muslim "collaborators", I have no doubt that they wanted to affect the general public as well

b) My point is that my general level of amusement at their terror skillz should be shared by everybody else. Amusement is the opposite of terror. These guys are anti-terrorists, like the guys in Canada who wanted to blow up Parliament and behead the PM, but who had been under RCMP, US and British supervision since hatching their pathetic plan.

I get the feeling that a lot of the Muslim terrorists who grew up in Western countries are pathetic failures in real life, and thus have a low average ability even in such an undemanding profession as suicidal terrorist in an open, free, multicultural society.

While I agree for the most part about the strategic implications of this, Im not sure about the amusement, which is justified if at all, by the failure of the plot (a failure that may well be due to good police work) In general I dont find retail terror much more amusing than wholesale terror, and I would point out that ones view may be influenced by whether one is on the list of targets.

Comment

Working...
                              X