Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alleged UK terror plot to behead a muslim British soldier doesn't make 'poly.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
    I was being mildly ironic in using that term.

The provos committed many atrocities, but:

a) They were far more capable than most of the numbkulls we see today

b) They did not generally aim for maximum carnage, again unlike the new brand of terrorist
    This is true. The provos were a very different outfit to the modern nihilist suicide bomber. Their main targets would be military or property rather than the general public, who would typically be warned well in advance of a bombing. In fact, as terrorists go, I reckon many Londoners have a certain amount of nostalgia for the relatively 'good old days' of the IRA.

Carnage like Warrington was usually another group like the INLA, I believe.

The IRA/Sinn Fein brass themselves were actually very intelligent, charismatic, erudite and capable people who have become genuinely able politicians. A better class of criminal, who would actually read high-brow literature and philosophy in prison. By contrast, the proddie prisoners would read body-building magazines.

Comment

I was being mildly ironic in using that term.

The provos committed many atrocities, but:

a) They were far more capable than most of the numbkulls we see today

b) They did not generally aim for maximum carnage, again unlike the new brand of terrorist
      Fair enough. Though the Real IRA (the hardcore who left the provos after the Good Friday Agreement) have gone for maximum carnage.

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus
        This is true. The provos were a very different outfit to the modern nihilist suicide bomber. Their main targets would be military or property rather than the general public, who would typically be warned well in advance of a bombing. In fact, as terrorists go, I reckon many Londoners have a certain amount of nostalgia for the relatively 'good old days' of the IRA.

Carnage like Warrington was usually another group like the INLA, I believe.

The IRA/Sinn Fein brass themselves were actually very intelligent, charismatic, erudite and capable people who have become genuinely able politicians. A better class of criminal, who would actually read high-brow literature and philosophy in prison. By contrast, the proddie prisoners would read body-building magazines.
        A lot of that's true. The PIRA leaders were smarter, they had a cause and were fighting for it while the prods were just people who wanted to defend their way of life. Personally I'm glad it's calmed down over there, quite a few of my friends and relatives were injured or killed by the provos and RIRA (even so I didn't agree with either sides terrorist activities). And so selfishly I'd count those days as worse than now with the barely competent terrorists. The only effect they've had on my life is longer queues at airports and draconian legislation being brought in by the government.

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark
          While I agree for the most part about the strategic implications of this, Im not sure about the amusement, which is justified if at all, by the failure of the plot (a failure that may well be due to good police work) In general I dont find retail terror much more amusing than wholesale terror, and I would point out that ones view may be influenced by whether one is on the list of targets.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/July_20...ation_shooting
          The best conspiracy involves 1 person. Accomplishing the kidnapping, beheading, and broadcasting should not have involved more than 2-3 people. Bringing in 9 people tells me that these idiots can't do anything without a bunch of people to make them feel bigger and more powerful.

Despite whatever good police work it took to crack this, I have no doubt that idiocy also played a significant role.

These idiots don't deserve my respect. They get amusement instead. And that's far more important in the long run than their arrest.

The more the media and authorities play up the threat posed by every idiot with a gun and a Koran the more they'll be idolised by the population of potential recruits.

When some group like this proves themselves a bunch of incompetent bumbling *********, I think we should play up their pathetic inabilities as much as possible.

Some people might enjoy the thought of being seen as evil by mainstream Western society. There are very few who enjoy the thought of being seen as a joke.
          12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Killing it is the new killing it
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

The best conspiracy involves 1 person. Accomplishing the kidnapping, beheading, and broadcasting should not have involved more than 2-3 people. Bringing in 9 people tells me that these idiots can't do anything without a bunch of people to make them feel bigger and more powerful.

Despite whatever good police work it took to crack this, I have no doubt that idiocy also played a significant role.

These idiots don't deserve my respect. They get amusement instead. And that's far more important in the long run than their arrest.

The more the media and authorities play up the threat posed by every idiot with a gun and a Koran the more they'll be idolised by the population of potential recruits.

When some group like this proves themselves a bunch of incompetent bumbling *********, I think we should play up their pathetic inabilities as much as possible.

Some people might enjoy the thought of being seen as evil by mainstream Western society. There are very few who enjoy the thought of being seen as a joke.

I think the audience that could be proud of their evil is quite capable of seeing this as 9 guys against the might of the all powerful imperial British crusader state, with help from the all power Zionist Occupation Govt of the USA, the govt that had the ability to conduct the 9/11 attacks and then blame it on muslims. I dont think trying to post here to influence the thinking of such people is worth it - we might as well be honest, not only about facts, but about our feelings. OTOH, if your true feeling is more amusement rather than the related but different contempt, by all means express it.
            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

I feel contempt for all terrorists. I also feel amusement in this particular instance.

And I don't think that it's unreasonable to suppose that our opinions do have some effect on Western-born terrorist sympthisers.

Especially at a subconscious level. The image of a bold, capable martyr might resonate with somebody. The image of 9 clowns organising a super-secret jihad conspiracy (no girls allowed in clubhouse) might not.

The only thing better than this is when a bomber blows himself up by mistake when messing around with dangerous chemicals beyond the ability of his limited intellect to understand.

Those ones make me laugh really hard
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Jesus wept. Are people really getting dewy-eyed over the Provos?

Lest we forget, after the troubles they went in for punishment beatings and knee-capping of kids. A high point in any culture, I'm sure you'll agree.
                The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
                  Jesus wept. Are people really getting dewy-eyed over the Provos?
                  No, they're a bunch of thugs. Just more capable and rational than the current crop.
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Re: Alleged UK terror plot to behead a muslim British soldier doesn't make 'poly.

Originally posted by Cort Haus
                    Alleged UK terror plot to behead a muslim British soldier doesn't make 'poly.
                    Still upper lip and all that. We don't make a fuss like these Americans do. A couple of office blocks fall down and they are up in arms!
                    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Re: Re: Alleged UK terror plot to behead a muslim British soldier doesn't make 'poly.

since almost every discussion of such a terr attack ends up with either a pointless discussion of certain verses of the Koran, highlighted by accusations of being either PC or racist, OR ends up being about teh EEVIL bush and Blair have made us all afraid so they can institute a fascist dictatorship, usually moving on to a discussion of Jeb Bush and hanging chads, the 1954 Guatemalan coup, etc, etc, OR ends up being about religion in general and christian fundamentalism in America, with a detailed discussion of what Leviticus says about gays, references to a flying spagetti monster, and a fair amount of pop-Nietzcheanism, OR ends up being about Israel, and we get anything from confused discussions of Turkish land law to accusations of colonialism, racism, antisemitism, etc I have basically given up on Poly as a useful forum for discussing this sort of thing.

Comment

Re: Re: Alleged UK terror plot to behead a muslim British soldier doesn't make 'poly.

since almost every discussion of such a terr attack ends up with either a pointless discussion of certain verses of the Koran, highlighted by accusations of being either PC or racist, OR ends up being about teh EEVIL bush and Blair have made us all afraid so they can institute a fascist dictatorship, usually moving on to a discussion of Jeb Bush and hanging chads, the 1954 Guatemalan coup, etc, etc, OR ends up being about religion in general and christian fundamentalism in America, with a detailed discussion of what Leviticus says about gays, references to a flying spagetti monster, and a fair amount of pop-Nietzcheanism, OR ends up being about Israel, and we get anything from confused discussions of Turkish land law to accusations of colonialism, racism, antisemitism, etc I have basically given up on Poly as a useful forum for discussing this sort of thing.

Spot on
                        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                        "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                        "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

As KH stated, these people should be made fun of at every opportunity and let people know exactly how pathetic they are. It's not making light of the threats that real terrorist present, it's taking every opportunity to discredit what they are and not go all crazy with our reactions. It's the local idiots that are exploited into causing these problems and possibly doing the potential messy work involved with actual organized attempts at terrorism. If I'm a person interested in serious terrorist activities I'm happy to see the local idiots doing this and spreading the word and fear without actually doing anything myself.

Don't celebrate these people. When they kill, prosecute them like any common murderer and thug. Take the glory out of it. The president or prime minister don't need to address the nation over something like that. Book them, try them and dispense the necessary justice upon them.
                          Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

What I think is more worrying is the amount of airtime given by leftist news outlets in Britain to other Muslims in the area who seem to think that they should not have been arrested, just because they share the same skin colour.
                            www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Working...
                            X