Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would Iraq be better off if Saddam was still in power?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Patroklos
    Yes, but even that ridiculously high upper limit estimated death toll pales in comparison to some of the lower estimates of yearly deaths from 91-03.
    I happen to agree with you that the starvation deaths were entirely saddams fault. I think it was a deeply cynical ploy to end the sanctions.

However, since this idea is always dismissed as ridiculous I suspect the "under saddam" option in this poll is assuming with no *evil* coalition sanctions oppressing the poor iraqi children.

Comment

True, thats why I originally said pre Gulf War might be better, but then I remembered Iran-Iraq.

It is a stupid question anyways, as I am sure Shia and Sunni and Kurd have very different answers. As well as where you are, most of Iraq (though not most of the people) is rather peaceful.
      "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

True, thats why I originally said pre Gulf War might be better, but then I remembered Iran-Iraq.

It is a stupid question anyways, as I am sure Shia and Sunni and Kurd have very different answers. As well as where you are, most of Iraq (though not most of the people) is rather peaceful.
        In the same sense that most of South Central LA is peaceful yes.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
          The poll and results illutrate the lack of intelligence outside of poster's areas of endeavor.

A) It isn't under Bush.
          B) For those who think it was better with Hussein alive, you're an idiot.
          Yes, random violence is sooo much better Freedom is the only thing that could possible matter. Better to be free than to have a steady job and food on the table, because freedom is so awesome!

Sava was anti-war, you schmuck. His point, which I don't necessarily agree with, is that (most) people in the West don't really care about Iraqis. It's PC to claim to care, but Sava's calling bull****.
          Yes, but Sava is claiming all anti-war people are PC, and not realists. I take exception to that.

Yes, but even that ridiculously high upper limit estimated death toll pales in comparison to some of the lower estimates of yearly deaths from 91-03
          I was under the impression that there was a study which showed 600,000 additional deaths as a result of the war. If you included indirect deaths, i.e. increase in the death rate due to the chaos and break down of health services etc.
          "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
          -Joan Robinson

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Galis
            Freedom is the only thing that could possible matter. Better to be free than to be not free and have a steady job and food on the table, because freedom is so awesome!
            fixed

Comment

Where are you drawing the term random from, Victor?
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Geronimo

fixed
                That was somewhat implied .

I define violence that you can't avoid as random: i.e. you can't keep your head down and not criticize Saddam. Shi'ite death squads aren't targetting prominent Sunnis only, they'll kill any Sunnis they get their hands on, and vice versa.
                "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
                -Joan Robinson

Comment

That was somewhat implied .

I define violence that you can't avoid as random: i.e. you can't keep your head down and not criticize Saddam. Shi'ite death squads aren't targetting prominent Sunnis only, they'll kill any Sunnis they get their hands on, and vice versa.
                  actually I was also fixing by taking the rollseyes out.

You see I wasn't being ironic.

That was the fix

(I hate having to explain these things)

Comment

Better to be free than to have a steady job and food on the table, because freedom is so awesome!
                    Then I supose you have no problem with expansion of executive powers, as long as your prison is comfortable.
                    "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Then I supose you have no problem with expansion of executive powers, as long as your prison is comfortable.
                      But the current situation isn't chaotic enough. Comfort and freedom is better than either alternative. Security is better than freedom if you have to chose one and only one, i.e. dictatorship is better than civil war. Thankfully, that's not a choice I have to make.
                      -Joan Robinson

Comment

But the current situation isn't chaotic enough. Comfort and freedom is better than either alternative. Security is better than freedom if you have to chose one and only one, i.e. dictatorship is better than civil war. Thankfully, that's not a choice I have to make.
                        are you serious? If dictatorship is better than civil war how do you ever remove the dictatorship??

Do you give no consideration to long term cost/benefits analysis of the choice whatsoever?

Comment

Working...
                        X