Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anti-semitism in India?

This is very odd:
    Warning sign on Indian train advises passengers not to take eatables from strangers because they could be drugged and a drawing illustrating two religious Jews reading the Torah

Israeli tourist offended by racist sign on Indian train

Warning sign on Indian train advises passengers not to take eatables from strangers because they could be drugged and a drawing illustrating two religious Jews reading the Torah

A security sign on a train from Goa to Mumbai in India featured a written warning to passengers not to take eatables from strangers because they could be drugged and a drawing illustrating two religious Jews reading the Torah.

"Never accept any eatables from a stranger or co-passenger whom you have never met before. They could be drugged," read security tip number 6, to the left of which appeared a diagram of two religious Jews.

Warning sign on Indian train

The sign was spotted and photographed by an Israeli tourist two months ago during a journey from Goa to Mumbai.

"This sign is without any doubt racist," said Iris Alon, "it clearly says that Jews can poison you by giving you food that contains poison."

"It is very irritating to see a sign like this in India. In general there are good relations between Indians and Israeli tourists, and I never thought that such racism existed in the country, and certainly not in a railway operator," she said.

"What's worse is that many tourists are exposed to this sign, which makes it more intense," said Alon, adding that railway operator is one of the biggest in India.

Alon wrote the Israeli Foreign Ministry and the Israeli Embassy in India asking that they file a complaint with Indian authorities and demand that the sign be removed.

Unfortunate choice of clipart
    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Bad joke

Comment

Well, it's just two guys with foodstuff. Surely they could be more generic... But I don't think the person, who designed that sign meant it as racist.

Besides, I thought judaism is a religion.

I wonder what tip number 5 is? Maybe the pic refers to it? "Be nice to your fellow passengers, even if they wear funny hats."
        I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

I can hear the lines from Tom Lehrer's satirical song National Brotherhood Week:

Oh the Catholics hate the Protestants,
          And the Protestants hate the Catholics,
          And the Muslims hate the Hindus,
          And everybody hates the Jews.

Comment

But who do the jews hate?
            I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Everybody, of course. That's why they start every war in the world.
              12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Killing it is the new killing it
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Tattila the Hun
                But who do the jews hate?
                Sandwich makers:

Do not make a stingy sandwich.
                Pile the cold cuts high.
                Customers should see salami,
                Coming through the Rye.
                ...Allen Sherman

Comment

I dont think there is much anti semitism in india.

They have over 1000 million people, so wacky stuff is bound to happen
                  I need a foot massage

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
                    Unfortunate choice of clipart
                    I think so. They actually do have a small community of Jews native to India who have been in India for at least 1000 years. If I recall they are in Southern India and they were granted the right to make jewelry or something by some prince in the 9th century. It's interesting that there were enough Jews in southern India for one of the local princes to actually specify which professions Jews were allowed to practice.
                    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Brachy-Pride
                      I dont think there is much anti semitism in india.

They have over 1000 million people, so wacky stuff is bound to happen
                      I'll remember that the next time there is some KKK or Neo-Nazi rally in the US.

"we aren't racist, we have over 300 million people, wacky stuff is bound to happen"
                      Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Those kwazy Indians!
                        APOSTOLNIK BEANIE BERET BICORNE BIRETTA BOATER BONNET BOWLER CAP CAPOTAIN CHADOR COIF CORONET CROWN DO-RAG FEDORA FEZ GALERO HAIRNET HAT HEADSCARF HELMET HENNIN HIJAB HOOD KABUTO KERCHIEF KOLPIK KUFI MITRE MORTARBOARD PERUKE PICKELHAUBE SKULLCAP SOMBRERO SHTREIMEL STAHLHELM STETSON TIARA TOQUE TOUPEE TRICORN TRILBY TURBAN VISOR WIG YARMULKE ZUCCHETTO

Comment

Teenager worth 1/4 of a real person

I accept that as a valid argument, actually.
                          12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Killing it is the new killing it
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Troll woth 1/20 of a point.
                            Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

The queen of spades is worth 13 points!
                              APOSTOLNIK BEANIE BERET BICORNE BIRETTA BOATER BONNET BOWLER CAP CAPOTAIN CHADOR COIF CORONET CROWN DO-RAG FEDORA FEZ GALERO HAIRNET HAT HEADSCARF HELMET HENNIN HIJAB HOOD KABUTO KERCHIEF KOLPIK KUFI MITRE MORTARBOARD PERUKE PICKELHAUBE SKULLCAP SOMBRERO SHTREIMEL STAHLHELM STETSON TIARA TOQUE TOUPEE TRICORN TRILBY TURBAN VISOR WIG YARMULKE ZUCCHETTO

Comment

Working...
                              X