No announcement yet.

Finally, a European with backbone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I figured it was just the way Muslims interpret the 2nd Commandment. Here's the Protestant version:

. Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth: Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me; And showing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.

Comment

I really don't mind that belivers of a particular faith don't want to make pictures of god etc, but why should nonbelivers follow such a rule ?
      With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Because they don't want to be viewed as jerks?

F'Instance...you can't get a pepperoni pizza in Malaysia. Even if was just a supply-and-demand thing and it were legal to eat pepperoni in Malayia, I wouldn't do so there in public, because it would upset people.

Similarly, there are cultures in which it is okay to eat dogs and cats. Wonderful, but I'm appreciative when they come over here, and they don't do it in front of me.

Comment

Nice examples, they just lack a minor thing called relevance.

I don't live in malaysia, nor is it common to eat cats and dogs here.

In a bit awkward way, you actually have hit the hot spot - We have customs that we consider natural including making redicule of religious beliefs - why should we give up this custom ?
          With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
            Because they don't want to be viewed as jerks?

F'Instance...you can't get a pepperoni pizza in Malaysia. Even if was just a supply-and-demand thing and it were legal to eat pepperoni in Malayia, I wouldn't do so there in public, because it would upset people.
            What do the ethnic Chinese there think of that?
            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

I'd be very surprised if you actually couldn't get a pepperoni pizza in Malaysia. It seemed like you could get almost anything you wanted to eat in Chinatown and at the malls in Kuala Lumpur.

edit: Pizza Hut Malaysia offers pepperoni pizza.

That Royal Masala pizza sounds tasty...
              Last edited by Drake Tungsten; January 30, 2007, 01:07.
              KH FOR OWNER!
              ASHER FOR CEO!!
              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Admittedly, I went to only one Pizza Hut. There didn't have it.

Comment

absurd. Do you think that two gay men should refrain from holding hands when in a muslim country, too?

in short, it's stupid and abusrd.
                  urgh.NSFW

Comment

Working...
                  X