No announcement yet.

Fasting, what's with it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know some doctors who think that a doctor assisted fast can be a good thing, health wise, when done occasionally.

JM
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

A natural explanation to the benefits of fasting might be that our species was conditioned over thousands of years (our genus over millions) to endure periods of little food.

Survival mechanisms that are pleasurable lend towards our survival, so the pleasure of fasting might be connected.

I personally cannot tolerate the feeling of an empty stomach. I eat not so much for the tasting of nice food, but to calm the stomach's moaning.
      Voluntary Human Extinction Movement http://www.vhemt.org/

Comment

A couple of decades ago, I did a fast. I was taking a herb (fennel?) which curbs appetites, so I experenced no hunger. But I experience two problems.

First, after several days, I just plain missed eating.

Second, I suffered what I've heard other people suffer. The body often stuffs toxins where they'll do the least harm, e.g. in fat cells. However, when the fat cells begin to be broken down to use for fuel, out comes the toxins...and I got lousy sick.

Comment

Getting the toxins out of your system would be a good thing, I would think.

JM
          Jon Miller-
          I AM.CANADIAN
          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Depends what they are. If they all get dumped in your blood then certain toxisn can do alot of damage before they are removed; it would have to be a controlled release.
            You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Depends what they are. If they all get dumped in your blood then certain toxins can do alot of damage before they are removed; it would have to be a controlled release.
              You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

You can say that again.

Comment

Blake out-Pekka-ing Pekka.

If sleep deprivation can kick the brain into alternative states of consciousness (which it can) then why not food deprivation too? I can see why fasting could be used a 'spiritual tool' - that is to say, something that can bring about the hallucinatory state associated with metaphysical perceptions.

Ultimately though, the energy for living has to come from somewhere, and if its not coming from food it has to come from reserves. For an already-thin person this could mean running a bit close-to-the-bone, so to speak.

Comment

I could quote my post above... but instead I will point to the bold doctor assisted bit.

JM
                    Jon Miller-
                    I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Unless you're trying to free your country from colonial overlords, or trying to prevent your countrymen from killing each other in the name of religion, I would generally advise against fasting.
                      THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                      AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                      AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                      DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

had to change it from slowing
                        anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

What a load of old cobblers...
                          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Working...
                          X