Fasting, what's with it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fasting, what's with it?

At the moment I'm feeling particularly spiritually fulfilled.

And I feel this tremendous desire to fast. I'm skinny, I don't eat that much normally and never over-eat. In fact I've always tended to fast a little bit when given the chance - it feels good and I'm convinced it's good for health too.

But now I want to eat even less (I would say definitely a nutritionist would be quite concerned, possibly have a fit) and yet I feel higher energy levels than ever and need far less sleep.

Obviously this feeling is "real" and "legitimate" - or else fasting wouldn't be such a common theme in religious practices - I mean it can't just be about abstinence/self-denial becuz' god told you so and is a meanie - there must be some "real" "spiritual connection" in relation to fasting, at least in certain people (maybe with the right god-genes), otherwise the practice would never have caught on.

Is spiritual fulfillment a substitute for food?

Spiritually, I think it is suppose to assist you in removing your focus from bodily needs.

Physically, I think it is suppose to detox you, like a colonic.

JM
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

No.
      You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

never fasted. But I have went through phases where I ate very little.

I get hunger headaches sometimes, so I try to avoid those. And sometimes I get dizzy if I don't eat.

Comment

That is lack of blood sugar, not being truly hungry. Most americans are never truly hungry.

JM
          Jon Miller-
          I AM.CANADIAN
          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Fasting is done in private and as a sacrifice unto the Lord (Christian Fasting)

Here are some other examples you may feel free to research:

Observed:
            In times of bereavement, of the people of Jabesh Gilead, for Saul and his sons (1Sa 31:13; 1Ch 10:12), of David, at the time of Saul's death (2Sa 1:12), of Abner's death (2Sa 3:35), of his child's sickness (2Sa 12:16,21-23).
            On occasions of, public calamities (2Sa 1:12; Ac 27:33), private afflictions (2Sa 12:16), approaching danger (Est 4:16; Ac 27:9,33-34), afflictions (Ps 35:13; Da 6:18), religious observances (Zec 8:19), ordination of ministers (Ac 13:3; 14:23).
            Habitual, of the Israelites (Zec 8:19), by John's disciples (Mt 9:14), by Pharisees (Mt 9:14; Mk 2:18; Lk 18:12), by Anna (Lk 2:37), by Cornelius (Ac 10:30), by Paul (2Co 6:5; 11:27).
            Prolonged, forty days and nights, by Moses (Ex 24:18; 34:28; Dt 9:9, 18), forty days and nights, by Elijah (1Ki 19:8), three weeks, by Daniel (Da 10:2-3), forty days and nights, by Jesus (Mt 4:2; Mk 1:12-13; Lk 4:1-2).

---------------------------------------------------------

Gramps
            Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Before I mock you, please explain

there must be some "real" "spiritual connection" in relation to fasting

a little more. What do you mean by "spiritual connection"?
              Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
              Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

If it works for you, that's all that really matters.

I recall seeing some studies in mice where fasting (but still maintaining the same caloric intake overall) was physically beneficial, giving the same results as a lower calorie diet.

Most people in the US get more calories than they need. I'd think at the very least short term fasting would be beneficial to them in much the same manner as eating less. Longer term fasts will trigger a starvation response in the body that cause it to store more fat when you start eating again. (Starvation diets...)

Psychologically there is a sort of "high" associated with overcoming physical needs or restrictions. The effects could be similar to any sort of personal accomplishment depending on how it was viewed.

I wouldn't doubt that there's a hormone variation as well, as what you eat (or don't) affects those levels.

Comment

I've been thinking about doing this, too. Fasting doesn't mean eating less or to simply stop eating, there are particular ways of going about it. A juice fast is a common one, for instance, where you basically live off juice for a week, with the ocasional other thing. It's been a while since I read about it.

If you're interested in both a physical and spiritual cleansing you should look up sivandara yoga practices - there are alot of body cleansing and fasting techniques done with that.
                  Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

enemas are the only cleansings I enjoy.

Comment

Re: Fasting, what's with it?

Originally posted by Blake
                      But now I want to eat even less (I would say definitely a nutritionist would be quite concerned, possibly have a fit) and yet I feel higher energy levels than ever and need far less sleep.
                      Hungry animals can get a temporary boost in concentration ability to give them a better shot at catching prey.
                      Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
                      Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Originally posted by Tacc
                        Before I mock you, please explain

there must be some "real" "spiritual connection" in relation to fasting

a little more. What do you mean by "spiritual connection"?
                        Mock away, I don't mind.

You'll note the quotes around both real and spiritual connection. I acknowledge it's a feeling without rational basis, I'm good about that. I divvy up the stuff inside my head into the rational and irrational and readily acknowledge the nature of the latter. Once upon a time I tried rejecting the latter and it didn't go well. I'd rather be happy than completely rational... but I can still engage 100% rational thought process at will, my spiritual beliefs do not get in the way of my functioning.

I tend to believe in the "god-gene" theory, that some people are predisposed towards having spiritual experiences. Although maybe people just label things differently, serenity might be a good word for feeling "spiritually fulfilled" - it's to be at peace with yourself and the world. In my case it's feeling a little bit closer to the Buddha (so so far away, but even a glimpse...) (mock away).

While irrational, spirituality certainly does serve a purpose (I'm not sure for all people, but those with God-Gene inside(tm) it does). I guess that there is some evolutionary role of spirituality - maybe it increases fortitude in times of adversity, maybe it results in more positive tribal environments - like a unifying factor, maybe it results in higher inquisitiveness (bear in mind that monasteries were oft places of science in times past).

Ok to get back to fasting.
                        An artificial mood elevation in times of physical adversity would certainly help in staying alive, because it's better than dying of apathy.

What's strange is it seems to work the other way - that an artificial mood elevation (ie one NOT related to a change in physical reality) can result in lowered physical desire and even seemingly physical needs. I suppose the systems might just be linked in some brains. That's what I'm really wondering about here.

By the way I understand what fasting is, it's done in nearly all religions (not so much now though...). For me the definition is "Eating little, but without feeling distress nor suffering illhealth" would work. That's to make it distinct from self-denial (which could include starve+binge cycles which I'm not talking about), hunger-strikes and so forth, those things can be described as fasting, but I'm talking about fasting because it feels completely positive, without any external motivation nor self-worth problems.

Comment

As long as you are not attempting to say "Because I want to fast, therefore some religion of mine is true"...
                          Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                          Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

I do not conform to any religion, except discordia, which forbids me from believing what I read .

Comment

Well, so long as you don't alter your diet so that your body is lacking the required nutrients...but not eating because you don't feel hungry even while the body is wasting away doesn't lead to good long term health.
                              You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Working...
                              X