Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Last weeks UK storms - anyone get killed near you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I stayed at home and we didn´t experience anything unusual (looks like the landscape sloweed the windspeed down a bit).

But a friend of mine needed 8.5 hours to get home from work (where normally he needed just around 1 hour), as, because of Kyril, the train service was almost completely shut down and he had to travel across NRW (northrhine westfalia) via bus and the few train lines that still were open)
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin
      Had some windy conditions at the game on 17 Jan.

THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
      AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
      AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
      DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by Doddler
        They closed our city centre off And it burst our balcony door open
        If only they would make that closure permanent...
        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Why the Hell do you Euros call major temperate storm systems "hurricanes"?

Comment

Hurrican is defined by the Beaufort scale as having a wind speed >117 km/h. Kyrill had a maximum speed of 225 km/h somewhere in the Alps, so it qualifies. No, and I don't want to have a storm in Europe which makes the sea flooding the Netherlands, and the Dutch flooding Germany, Switzerland, Austria, France and Italy with caravans. We definitly don't have camping sites for 15 million people.

Btw. you were the first one to mention the word "hurrican".
            Why doing it the easy way if it is possible to do it complicated?

Comment

Originally posted by Odin
              As said, who mentioned hurricanes? I wasn't aware we did refer to storms as such.
              Smile
              For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
              But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

According to my Oxford Dictionary, hurricane = severe storm

It was probably called that even before America was discovered and the existance of the Caribean weather systems was known.
                So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Originally posted by Adalbertus

Btw. you were the first one to mention the word "hurrican".
                  I heard it refered by Brits on other forums I post on, as well in European news sites as a "hurricane." It was just something that bugged me.

Comment

I heard it refered by Brits on other forums I post on, as well in European news sites as a "hurricane." It was just something that bugged me.
                    Well, we didn't call it that, but what wind speed would you call a hurricane? As Albertus said, some wind-speeds did exceed the 117 km/h definition.

Comment

We had 100mph+ didn't we? What's that in Eurospeeds?
                      www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

More than enough. Force 12 is 73-83 mph which is a Hurricane. Odin is just being a stupid "your winds are smaller than our big american winds" prat.

Comment

Odin should hang out in a cyclone one of these days
                          THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                          AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                          AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                          DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by Chemical Ollie

According to my Oxford Dictionary, hurricane = severe storm

It was probably called that even before America was discovered and the existance of the Caribean weather systems was known.
                            seeing as the word is derived from Taino, I very much doubt that.
                            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

I hear the term 'hurricane force winds' on the weather forecast when its extremley windy and warrants the term, hurricane is then used by the bloke in the street cos it's easier to say. So what?

'Mericans call their sport football, so who has the bigger right to complain?
                              One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus
                                More than enough. Force 12 is 73-83 mph which is a Hurricane. Odin is just being a stupid "your winds are smaller than our big american winds" prat.

http://www.zetnet.co.uk/sigs/weather...s/beaufort.htm
                                why not call it a typhoon then? They have just as strong winds, IIUC.
                                "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Working...
                                X