Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BeBro
    Blame Herodotus
    He said only 1/2 million. (I think the rest were probably just news media people.)

Comment

It won't be historically accurate, as it's based on Miller's graphic novel (comic), in which the Thespians are portrayed as fleeing, which I believe is an outrage. The name should be 1000. Thespians were not professional soldiers as Spartans were, they staid without being asked. Their sacrifice is being overlooked by Miller, and I'm afraid the movir will do the same. Shame.
      Clash of Civilization team member
      (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
      web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

If I recall my Herodotus on this point, he says the Thespians were left with the Spartans because the Tespians' loyalty was suspect. --This never made sense to me, because it pitched battles the last people you want nearby are people whose loyalties you don't trust.

And weren't there about 5,000 Thespians?

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler

And weren't there about 5,000 Thespians?

And people say actors never contribute to a war effort.

I saw the trailer tonight while watching Heroes There are a few glaring inaccuracies in it BUT it won't bother me a bit cause the movie looks bad ass. Please don't go to this movie wanting to see an historical movie, go to be entertained. After only seeing the trailer, I expect to be buying the DVD. It looks bad ass.
          Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

Meh.. it looks TOO over the top for me. I'll pass.
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I like the exchange in the beginning of the old "300 Spartans" where the young soldier is trying to seduce his girlfriend before he marches off to war.

She refuses saying, "Once the rain has fallen, not all the prayers in the world can get it back into the sky."

And he replies, "Since when have Spartans been afraid of a little rain?"

Comment

If I recall my Herodotus on this point, he says the Thespians were left with the Spartans because the Tespians' loyalty was suspect.
                No. 700 Thespians decided to stay and 500 Thebans were forced to stay. The latter were said to try to surrender but got killed all the same or were branded as cowards (I read both versions). The former were honoured by Spartans, and both Spartans and Thespians are honoured on the site of the battle by a monument.
                Clash of Civilization team member
                (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler

He said only 1/2 million. (I think the rest were probably just news media people.)
                  He gives the number of 1,7 million for Xerxes' army (navy not counted in) at the beginning of the war 480 BC in Hdt VII, 60 and again shortly before the description of the Battle of Thermopylae in VII, 184 (there he also mentions the navy and says army and navy together are ca. 2.3 million). Even much more in the following parts incl. people forced under his command when entering Europe and the huge number of logistics/supply guys. Of course the numbers are rather fantasy.
                  Last edited by BeBMan; January 23, 2007, 03:22.
                  Blah

Comment

Originally posted by LDiCesare
                    The latter were said to try to surrender but got killed all the same or were branded as cowards (I read both versions).
                    Of course they were killed,
                    the battle of Thermopylae used the battle engine from Rome Total War,
                    where (unlike in MTW) it isn´t possible to release or ransom your POWs

Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                      Meh.. it looks TOO over the top for me. I'll pass.
                      I agree, too much

WE ARE SPAAAARRTANS, RAAAAHHHRRRR, WE HAVEHUUUUGE PEEENIS, ROOOOOAAAR!

And the persians look like orcs from lotr
                      I need a foot massage

Comment

When I watched the trailer, I thought it was a fantasy film. It appears that Greeks are fighting some kind of orcs.

Comment

I wonder if the orc-like Persians are supposed to be the Persian Immortals.
                          "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Working...
                          X