No announcement yet.

To the moon, Alice! To the moon!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I doubt the water comet idea at L5 would make much sense, due to the Δ-v required to nudge it to L5. But here are the Δ-v costs to get around our immediate neighborhood.

As you can see, it costs the most to get something from Earth to Low Earth Orbit, but there are still lots of reasons that it might be most convenient to schlep something from Earth to Low Earth Orbit rather than use something available from the immediate neighborhood.

Abbreviations
    C3 = Escape orbit
    GEO = Geosynchronous orbit
    GTO = Geostationary transfer orbit
    L5 = Earth-Moon fifth Lagrangian point
    LEO = Low Earth orbit
    Attached Files
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

There is no free aerobrake for an asteroid coming into the Earth-moon system. That's just a bad idea.

Comment

Correct.
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

The map is also incomplete. L5 to C3 (earth escape velocity) is cheaper than it would seem from the map. I don't have the figure, but it's necessarily smaller than 0.7 km/s
          12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Killing it is the new killing it
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
            There is no free aerobrake for an asteroid coming into the Earth-moon system. That's just a bad idea.

Trust me, I wasn't contemplating doing that. Could you imagine the lawsuits?
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Re: To the moon, Alice! To the moon!

Originally posted by Zkribbler
              but is there any economic motivation to leave Momma Earth??
              We don't know. At a minimum, it is cool and fun to leave Momma Earth.

Comment

Re: Re: To the moon, Alice! To the moon!

Originally posted by Spiffor
                Launches are very expansive and polluting from earth. However, the lower the gravity, the cheaper a launch gets. And moons tend to have gravities significantly lower than Earth's.
                Yes, but to launch stuff from the moons, you first have to launch them from Earth to those moons (unless, of coruse, you're just moving rocks around the solar system).

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse

Trust me, I wasn't contemplating doing that. Could you imagine the lawsuits?
                  What lawsuits? All the lawyers would be dead...
                  The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Originally posted by DRoseDARs

I was assuming a "successful" maneuver, where the only problem is the giant chunks of crap that would fall off the rock...
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                      ... giant chunks of crap ...
                      Oh great....more lawyers.

Comment

Originally posted by DRoseDARs

Roaches and lawyers would live on.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: To the moon, Alice! To the moon!

Yes, but to launch stuff from the moons, you first have to launch them from Earth to those moons (unless, of coruse, you're just moving rocks around the solar system).
                          yep, you'd have to manufacture/ fabricate on the moons.

Comment

Re: To the moon, Alice! To the moon!

At last count, there are 95 moons in the solar system. Why do we want to go to any of them??

All of them are far less habitable than either Antarctica or the Sahara Desert. Only Titan has an atmosphere, and the air there is poisoness. There's no place where food can be grown. If we mine any minerals, it will be far more expensive to transport them to Earth than if we just mined them here.

I can understand wanting to have a few research stations to do pure scientific research....but is there any economic motivation to leave Momma Earth??
                            It won't become economically viable any time soon, but if we just sit on our butts and contemplate our navels it will never be economically viable.

Comment

When will it become economically viable?

The point of my opening post is that economically viablity isn't foreseeable...excpet maybe in the most distant future. On Earth, we have air, water, food, warmth, building maeterial, etc. In space, on moons, on other planets, etc., we will have none of these -- or if we have them, they will be very very expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by Vesayen

Roaches and lawyers would live on.
                                Not if the roaches eat them...
                                The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Working...
                                X