No announcement yet.

Movie Cliches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Geronimo, I don't think you're getting into the spirit of this. You keep pouring cold water on all these wonderful cliches. They're true - I promise!

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
      But they appear as streams of particles, not as clouds.

I learned this when Armstrong et al blasted off from the moon. I had expected to see them raise a big cloud of dust. Instead, the exhaust shot down, ricochetted off the moon, and then shot out in straight lines. For clouds of dust to form, you need air to turn the exhaust particles.
      Certainly that behavior looks different from dust 'clouds' in an atmosphere but how exactly it would look in the specific cases used in nbsg is hard to say. I suppose they error mainly in allowing it to so closely resemble familar atmospheric dust clouds rather than investigating how such particle 'clouds' look as they disperese through a vacuum in simple newtonian vectors.

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler

Hans Gruber = English accent
        Grand Moff Tarkin = English accent
        Anyone else think Lt Gruber from 'Allo 'Allo when they saw this.
        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Some of the so called cliches are probably unique for one or two films...

The cliches about sex - particulary so in american films - really annoy me though. Not that Hollywood invented the double standard, but they sure as hell perfected it. I consider myself reasonably sane but some peoples views about sex are really screwed by their media impressions. Experience often leads to wisdom but when two youngsters get together and one got his/her (I'd say 'her', but that might be seen as a cliche) sex-ed from "Pretty Woman" and the other one got it from "may the forskin be with you" and "Willie ****er and the Fudge packing factory" there's bound to be clash of anticipations.

Comment

Originally posted by Kropotkin

The cliches about sex - particulary so in american films - really annoy me though. Not that Hollywood invented the double standard, but they sure as hell perfected it. I consider myself reasonably sane but some peoples views about sex are really screwed by their media impressions. Experience often leads to wisdom but when two youngsters get together and one got his/her (I'd say 'her', but that might be seen as a cliche) sex-ed from "Pretty Woman" and the other one got it from "may the forskin be with you" and "Willie ****er and the Fudge packing factory" there's bound to be clash of anticipations.
            I don't pin the blame on hollywood so much as the censors they have to contend with in the US market.

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin
              I did

"The first thing they teach you at military academy, Hans, is never to tell a general when he has a chicken on his head."

'Allo 'Allo
              THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
              AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
              AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
              DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by Kropotkin

Even notice how, during Hollywood sex, no one ever laughs, giggles, squeals, jokes, tickles, etc.? They approach the act with all the joy of a funeral.

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin

When I saw your reply I was thinking "Well, who else could they be thinking of?"...then Die Hard eventually came into picture...
                  Attached Files
                  Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Reminds me of my drive home from Dartford last week
                    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

I knew I should never have given you that image file.
                      One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Speaking of Erith:

Comment

I can't find season 6 episode 9 online anywhere

I've downloaded most of the subsequent ones, but I want to watch them in order
                          THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                          AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                          AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                          DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

OK , first random movie I watched since posting this thread - Tank Girl. It's crap, with the most annoying lead character ever, but the super-villain is ... English actor Malcom McDowell.
                            Last edited by Cort Haus; January 22, 2007, 21:38.

Comment

english don't just play bad guys. They play sophisticated or snooty guys as well. A lot of times germans play bad guys (die hard films). Germans just make natural bad guys.

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro
                                Btw, I wondered why they use sounds sparsely in nBSG, but always have missiles with smoke trails in space (not to forget the smoke coming out the Galactica when it was on fire after a missile hit in the pilot movie/miniseries)?

Damage in space would result in outgassing. In many circumstances, this would look like smoke. Missiles in space would leave exhaust trails, but much much fainter than in nBSG.
                                “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Working...
                                X