Movie Cliches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zkribbler

Americans are intimidated by English accents so we cast Englishmen as villians in our motion pictures because they're scary.
    I gotta agree here, when I watched Borat, I like to have P!$$ed my pants laughing so hard, i was scared someone would notice I was crying I laughed so hard
    Attached Files
    Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
      * Spaceships always fly perpendicular to the same axis. When two spacecraft encounter each other, they're always aligned on a plane and never approach at odd angles.
      This isn't always true. There are moments in Star Trek where the seasoned captain goes, "Whoa, these dudes are rough! We're gonna need to use those badass maneuvers I learned while fighting the RomuKlingBorgs."

And then the ship flies beneath or ontop of the enemy's ship, catches them completely off guard, and blows them to smithereens.

And then the captain's subordinates are all like, "Dude, captain! I didn't know space was 3d. WTG!!"

And then I roll my eyes, breathe deeply, and keep watching.
      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

That was Wrath of Kahn -- Star Trek II

Comment

Hans sounded vaguely German to me, which makes sense.

-Arrian
          grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

I admit I like the sounds in space. Once we are technologically far enough to have Wing Commander-style spacefights they should play some cool laser and engine sounds into the pilot's headphones during missions, just for the atmosphere.
            Blah

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
              Hans sounded vaguely German to me, which makes sense.

-Arrian
              The point being that he should hardly be held up as an example of hollywood demonizing brits by casting them as villians. The audience won't have any reason to think the character is a brit!

Comment

Btw, I wondered why they use sounds sparsely in nBSG, but always have missiles with smoke trails in space (not to forget the smoke coming out the Galactica when it was on fire after a missile hit in the pilot movie/miniseries)?

Blah

Comment

Originally posted by Geronimo

The point being that he should hardly be held up as an example of hollywood demonizing brits by casting them as villians. The audience won't have any reason to think the character is a brit!
                  Agreed. Bad example.

-Arrian
                  grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro
                    Btw, I wondered why they use sounds sparsely in nBSG, but always have missiles with smoke trails in space (not to forget the smoke coming out the Galactica when it was on fire after a missile hit in the pilot movie/miniseries)?

I don't think it's clear how such damage would look in space. Certainly there would be a stream of particulate debris being ejected away from the damaged area but how simliar/dissimilar it would look to smoke is hard to say.

The missiles might leave visible trails as well although it's likely they are hugely exaggerated in the show.

Has anybody heard/read whether astronauts can see rocket exhaust trails in space?

Comment

IIRC, Clouds of dust/smoke shouldn't appear in vaccum. they are dependant on pressure and some turbolence. ( which doesn't exist in space )
                      urgh.NSFW

Comment

Where are our physicists when you need'em.
                        Blah

Comment

Originally posted by Az
                          IIRC, Clouds of dust/smoke shouldn't appear in vaccum. they are dependant on pressure and some turbolence. ( which doesn't exist in space )
                          That isn't entirely true. Comet tails are 'clouds' of dust. negligable density certainly, but dust nonetheless.

Comment

One of my favorites ( not sure if it's on the website )

every appartment in paris has a view of the Eiffel tower
                            urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Az
                              One of my favorites ( not sure if it's on the website )

every appartment in paris has a view of the Eiffel tower
                              How many movies have you seen that even have apartments in paris? It's hard to draw conclusions from a sample of one or two movies.

Comment

But they appear as streams of particles, not as clouds.

I learned this when Armstrong et al blasted off from the moon. I had expected to see them raise a big cloud of dust. Instead, the exhaust shot down, ricochetted off the moon, and then shot out in straight lines. For clouds of dust to form, you need air to turn the exhaust particles.

Comment

Working...
                                X