Thoughts on English independence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
    Yes and no. Moving the US capital would do that, because there's nothing else in Washington. Moving the UK's capital would only move government, not the major financial centre. Prices are so high becuase it's like New York and Washington, DC in one city. Now, I agree that moving the capital would be largely pointless though.

I'm not talking about what the influence on London would be, but the influence on the new city. The new city would be just as congested with the bureaucrats and contractors.
    But it wouldn't be congested with businessmen, unless for whatever reason they decided to move with the government. Think of what makes New York expensive. Now imagine that all those people were also living in Washington, DC.
    "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
    -Joan Robinson

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus

BS.

# The bad guy is the foreigner.
      # Corollary: the foreigner is the guy who speaks English with an English accent
      Unless, of course, you get the French involved. Then you're the good guys.

This is overblown, man. And I'm sure that Americans aren't always fairly portrayed in British film. I'm thinking along the lines of people in cowboy hats yelling "yeehaw" and waving guns about the place.

-Arrian
      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian

Unless, of course, you get the French involved. Then you're the good guys.

This is overblown, man. And I'm sure that Americans aren't always fairly portrayed in British film. I'm thinking along the lines of people in cowboy hats yelling "yeehaw" and waving guns about the place.

-Arrian
        I can't think of any films that are British made with such a stereotype except Dr Strangelove and Slim Pickens' character. I can write a very long list from memory of the US stereotype making of Brits.

It could be that the Americans make more films however.
        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

We do make many more. My exposure to British film is limited, so I was guessing. It seemed a reasonable guess. The borish, uncultured, heavily-armed American is a pretty well-established stereotype. I figured it might have leaked into British film. If not, ok.

My personal take on the whole "Brits as bad guys" is that it's really more "Brits as haughty characters." If you want your bad guy to be particularly haughty, you give him an upper-crusty English accent. Bad guys, of course, are often haughty.

If you want a really nasty fellow, go with a Nazi German.

Strangelove Brilliant film.

-Arrian
          grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

But isn't Slim Picken's character based on real Texans?

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus

Never noticed how often the bad guy in Hollywood movies is English? Even Sideshow Bob in The Simpsons is English.

Ever heard how IRA terrorism was largely funded by Americans?
              as info, from practically the first english settlement till the late 19th century, the establishment view of Ireland on this side of the pond was good, civilizing English Protestants against barbaric Romish Celtic scum. The establishment here being mainly Protestant, heavily Calvinist, and basically English. It was only, you know, Irish Catholics, and to a lesser extent, other Catholics who saw things otherwise. And to some extent the identification of Irish Catholics with the "struggle" in Ireland was driven by their own sense of exclusion here, by folks whose view of THEM was an extension of attitudes brought over the Atlantic.
              "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                We do make many more. My exposure to British film is limited, so I was guessing. It seemed a reasonable guess. The borish, uncultured, heavily-armed American is a pretty well-established stereotype. I figured it might have leaked into British film. If not, ok.
                Most big British films tend to be related to Britain (no need for an American) and taking the rise out of the British way of doing things. It's partly self-deprecating humour that Brits love, and partly due to the fact that it's not going to be in competition with big American blockbuster as it is a niche market in global terms.

My personal take on the whole "Brits as bad guys" is that it's really more "Brits as haughty characters." If you want your bad guy to be particularly haughty, you give him an upper-crusty English accent. Bad guys, of course, are often haughty.
                My take is that British actors are willing to take the roles that American actors don't tend to want in order to make it. American mentality is to be the good guy ergo the Brit plays the bad guy. After that trend started it self-perpetuated itself.
                One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                  But really, how much damage would be done to the US economy if Canada 'disappeared' rather than vice-versa?
                  You realize where a LOT of US energy originates right ??

I'm not saying the US could not replace our oil (although I believe we are the largest exporter to the US) but it would be much tougher to impossible to replace all the natural gas and hydro power in the short term.

If ALL trade stopped instantaneously between canada and the US, it would be terrible on both sides. WE would miss the US food most of all but you folks would more quickly feel the impacts of being cold and dark
                  You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Me?
                    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

• English accented villains now being discussed over on the Movie Cliche thread.

Comment

• Originally posted by Talkie_Toaster

They have the North Sea Oil
                        Hi. Thank you for adding me to your buddy list. Who are you?
                        THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                        AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                        AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                        DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Working...
                        X