Why does French wine suck so bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DAVOUT
    Elite producers al all under the AOC system.
    This ain't true anymore. The AOC system is about group dynamics, and very conservative. Basically, the local producers decide that local wine should fill several criteria (including taste), which conform to the local usages, to be called AOC. If you're in a region that solely produces crappy wine, you'll have your AOC if you produce crap. If you produce something original and good, you won't have the AOC then.

This happens to many new producers, who make "natural wines", i.e ones that use much less techniques of mass production. And who don't care about the local grape-growers despite their political clout.
    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

BTW Whole Foods is good for certain things, and in particular for quality meats, produce, and prepared foods. It's not very good for commercial things like wine It does some things really, really well though (although it is expensive, it is intended for the quality-conscious).

Nobody who is quality conscious is going to buy wine at a grocery store though, hence their lack in that area

Trader Joes for cheaper good quality
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

So basically we have worked out that Oerdin is crap at choosing wines...
        Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

You're the one that ran his mouth about over-priced mixed vintage, then turned around and applauds port.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by MOBIUS
            So basically we have worked out that Oerdin is crap at choosing wines...
            I go wine tasting often and am very good at picking Californian wines. I don't often buy French wines but thought I'd try something new. I choice what was availible at the store I was in since it convient.

I'm willing to give almost anything a try once though if I don't like it I don't buy it again.
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

sea-coast thieves wines and argentine wines are good and cheap, I liked the Porto, but too expensive, like only for 3 or 4 times a year
              I need a foot massage

Comment

I've never really got wine, as a true blooded Northern European. Give me a decent beer anyday
                Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

I thought wine-snobs already settled this question three decades ago:

"When the results were tallied and announced, several judges behaved badly, refusing to give up their notes, and one even tried to change his numbers before Spurrier whipped away the scorecards."

Other events have brought the same result time and again:

Unbelievable!

Comment

Originally posted by Darius871
                    "When the results were tallied and announced, several judges behaved badly, refusing to give up their notes, and one even tried to change his numbers before Spurrier whipped away the scorecards."
                    There are several ways to taste wine.

One is about protecting the established snobbinshness, and to care more about the winery than about the product.
                    The other is about enjoying the product itself.

And there are quite a bit of differences in wine. Once you start getting used to good wine, it's hard to drink crap again. Heck, some of my grape-picking colleagues were definitely not bourgeois. However, once they went home after three weeks of drinking good wine, they just couldn't drink crap for weeks.
                    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Darius871
                      I thought wine-snobs already settled this question three decades ago:

One of the judges, who gave max points to the American wine believing it was French, later had his car burned because the upset French wine makers believed that his owning a Ford car proved he was working for the Americans.
                      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I like merlot and other reds generally. Most whites I am not a big fan of.

JM
                        Jon Miller-
                        I AM.CANADIAN
                        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I used to

spend a significant portion of my disposable income on wine. The good stuff is really good. There are many very fine Cotes du Rhones that wold go very well with barbecue or roasted meats. However, the good ones are almost all in the $40+ per bottle range (many are significantly higher than $40). I also like their whites (the ones based on the viognier grape).
                          “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Originally posted by MOBIUS
                            Oh and Port

Particularly awesome with a strong blue-veined cheese, like Stilton...
                            Also very good with fine ice cream. Yum.

Comment

Working...
                            X