Why does French wine suck so bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheap-ass Australian merlots

There's a few brands of it that taste good enough and anything better is out of my price range thanks to Korean taxes.
    Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Why does wine suck so bad?

Yeah I figure it's an aquired taste like beer. I didn't like beer either when I first tasted it. but if you knew the brand of beer I first tasted, you'd know why. My dad used to drink generic beer because we were poor. Schaeffer and Old Milwaukee. Yuk.

that being said, I can almost stomach white wine. red wine just tastes disgusting for some reason. Perhaps if I tasted the good stuff I'd feel otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by DAVOUT
        As far as I know, Red Beret is a "marketing wine", only built for export; it does not follow the french rule of AOC (Appellation d'Origine Contrôlée). Elite producers al all under the AOC system.
        Otherwise known as: sell the cheap **** to the foreigners who don't know any better...

A blended wine for £8.50!!?

And the stupid name is a giveaway too...

I have a simple rule for European wines: If I'm not familiar with it and it's not an Appellation wine - don't buy it!

(And we can often buy French AOC wines for as little as £3-4 here)
        Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Oh and Port

Particularly awesome with a strong blue-veined cheese, like Stilton...
          Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Porto can be very good if they don't make it to sweet. I've had some nice Californian Port which isn't as sweet and so fits my taste buds better.
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Be sure to get real Port.

It dosen't have to be a vintage Port to be good, and in point of fact most Ports are not vintage.

Fonseca Bin 27 is a good place to start. Not too pricey, very tasty, and unlike true vintage Ports -- it's called a "vintage character" Port -- it needs no decanting.

Port has an interesting history, and there are many traditions attached to it.
              No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

So ... from buying one overpriced bottle of crap export wine, Oerdin is able to determine that most French wine sucks? Impressive.
                Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

If you really paid $17 for a non AOC wine then you're the one to blame.

Look for a "bottled at the propriety" tag next time.
                  In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Originally posted by Last Conformist
                    So ... from buying one overpriced bottle of crap export wine, Oerdin is able to determine that most French wine sucks? Impressive.
                    It's more of repeated bad experiences. There just seems to be a lot of subpar wine coming out of French and I don't want to put in the effort to sort through the junk to find the gems. It's just to easy to buy a great bottle of New World wine.

Comment

So French wine is like American beer. 99% is piss, but because 1% is decent, it's the greatest thing since the internet?

Let's face it. Both of you guys can't make booze, you can't handle the booze, and you both have hygiene problems (especially French).
                      In da butt.
                      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                      THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                      "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

If you consider reading the bottle's etiquette before buying it an "effort"...
                        In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

It would require a subscription to Wine Spectator or a similiar review magazine. Simply knowing the region is worthless. I want to know if that winery makes good wine or not. The French make it even worse because normally the label doesn't even say what types of grapes are in the wine. Thus unless you have thousands of different wineries memorized you have no clue what you're buying.

That's why it takes to much effort.

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                            Because the weather in Frane is notorious for being wildly inconsistent. The best French wines are among the very best, but sometimes it's just a bad year.
                            IIUC the best vineyards/bottlers wont release anything under their main label in bad year, instead they release the bad stuff under a "B" label.
                            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by Oncle Boris
                              If you really paid $17 for a non AOC wine then you're the one to blame.

Look for a "bottled at the propriety" tag next time.
                              that doesnt work for Burgundy or Beujolais, though, does it?
                              "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Makes sense.

Comment

Working...
                                X