I want to argue with Asher.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jon, stop threadjacking.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
      quote:
      Originally posted by Lorizael
      I did that...a few years back. I'm straight now.
      If I had a nickel...
      Am I the only one reading Asher has the innate ability to turn gay men straight?
      "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Re: I want to argue with Asher.

The appeal of running a computer absent the constraints of licenses and DRM and other restrictive policies is also there.
        The ideal is there in linux, but you'll find in order to do quite a few things and for cross-compatibility purposes, you'll be using restrictive licenses and DRM here and there.

When I was much younger I used to dabble with computers, programming, and hardware a lot more than I do now, and I would like to get back to that. Stepping into a whole new OS is one way to do that.
        You'll find that with many Linux distributions "ready for the desktop", like Ubuntu, you won't be doing much with programming. Indeed, a lot of it's gotten to fairly decent plug-and-play levels.

So what is there to know about Ubuntu and Linux? What should I be warned of before jumping into this? What other distros might I want to try?
        Other potential "easy" distributions include Xandros, Fedora, SuSE. The first one is most similar to Ubuntu in its attempt to be as powerfully easy to learn as possible.

How easy or hard is it to get online,
        Wired? Not very hard. Wireless is a bit trickier.

set up a chat client,
        Easy. Gaim. Or, if you have access to KDE (for instance, with Xandros), Kopete.

find drivers for my devices,
        Depends on what they are. Removable/flash devices are easy as pie; mainstream sound cards are easy; wired networking cards are easy. Graphics cards are trickier, as none of them have OSS drivers; nVidia's closed-source drivers are superior to ATi's, but to be honest, unless you want to play games, you don't need the advanced functionality provided by those closed drivers.

plays games (*cough* Civ 4)?
        $15 for a few months ($15 buys you a subscription for a bit, during which you can download the program and any updates...) will get you Cedega, which will allow you to run many games; you could get it for free by downloading the source and compiling it yourself, but that would require a fair amount of learning investment and time on your part.

How customizable is Linux?
        I don't know about Ubuntu--I use Gentoo, which is insanely customizable. I'd wager Ubuntu is far less so.

How easy is it to **** my system so hard I need to format the hdd?
        As difficult or easy as you want to make it. Don't operate in the root account, and you won't **** anything up. Though you will need to access it occasionally to install things...

And monkeys?
        Spank 'em.
        B♭3

Comment

JM, let's threadjack! What have you heard?
          Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

It's really a tragedy, it pollutes the gene pool. Less attractive people are born every year.
            So you're saying that the Neanderthalliconservatives are correct and gays should be forced to be straight??

Comment

It impressed my Linux nerd freind (who runs Gentoo or some other distrution that is known to be hard). It can boot of the CD which is a really nice feature (it also installs from that CD so you don't need a DVD or 6 CDs to install).

The GUI looked nice but I didn't play arround with it much.

Jon Miller
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN
              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
                It impressed my Linux nerd freind (who runs Gentoo or some other distrution that is known to be hard). It can boot of the CD which is a really nice feature (it also installs from that CD so you don't need a DVD or 6 CDs to install).

The GUI looked nice but I didn't play arround with it much.

Jon Miller
                Gentoo now has a bootable graphical liveCD.

That said, I still Gentoo. Hardness be damned!
                B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by Q Cubed
                  $15 for a few months ($15 buys you a subscription for a bit, during which you can download the program and any updates...) will get you Cedega, which will allow you to run many games; you could get it for free by downloading the source and compiling it yourself, but that would require a fair amount of learning investment and time on your part.
                  Why can't you run games normally in Linux, and what does Cedega do that allows you to do so?

...trickier...
                  If things can be tricky, as you say, why do you do it? What does Gentoo have over Windows that you're willing to put up with various complications that may arise?
                  "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Because Linux is a different Operating System then Windows. Just like Mac is a different OS than Windows. Why would you expect them to be able to run the same games?

JM
                    Jon Miller-
                    I AM.CANADIAN
                    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I wouldn't, which is why I asked about it in the first place.

Comment

Why can't you run games normally in Linux, and what does Cedega do that allows you to do so?
                        Specifically, many of these games use DirectX, which is Windows-only.

Cedega is a reverse-engineering attempt to mimic and translate many of those calls into something useful to Linux. It's fairly good at what it does.

If things can be tricky, as you say, why do you do it? What does Gentoo have over Windows that you're willing to put up with various complications that may arise?
                        Well, for one, I like spending that time tinkering. Admittedly, Gentoo is a lot of headaches, and it forces you to learn the innards of the system with a decent enough risk of system breakage.

I like it more than Windows for that reason--I like to tinker.
                        B♭3

Comment

This thread sucks (now).
                          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

This thread sucks (now).
                            So would talking about oral ministrations on pee-pees.

Well, then the thread would be about sucking, so...
                            B♭3

Comment

This thread sucks (now).
                              Feel free to talk about whatever you want, Asher. Gay sex, the failure that is the Ipod, why filosofy majors suck - it's totally up to you. But if you want to contribute to this thread at all, you can tell me all the reasons why Linux sucks and why I should just stick to Windows. You can even finish it all up with a couple s.

Edit: I mean seriously, I put your name in the thread title; I have no right to complain when you threadjack here. But your general asshattery would be of use to me if it were focused on talking about the bad in Linux, so that I can make a more informed decision.

Comment

Go ahead and try Linux. The best argument against Linux can be made by inviting casual users to try it as a desktop.

Comment

Working...
                                X