I want to argue with Asher.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to argue with Asher.

After idly speculating for about a year or so, I've decided that I want to experiment with Linux. I'm using the imminent arrival of my new laptop as impetus to make the switch. But I don't know if I'm actually going to switch. I'll start off by dual booting XP and (probably) Ubuntu until I decide either that there's insufficient reason to go through the effort of acclimating myself to a new OS or that Linux really is superior and I should abandon Bill Gates forever.

But I've never used Linux before. I don't really know much about it, except what I've been able to glean from the web. I also don't have anything in particular against Windows, except that there are certain things (lack of transparency, rigidity of environment, etc.) that frustrate me. The appeal of running a computer absent the constraints of licenses and DRM and other restrictive policies is also there. (Although my naturally cynical self is kind of turned off by Ubuntu's message about improving humanity through an OS or something. Eck.)

When I was much younger I used to dabble with computers, programming, and hardware a lot more than I do now, and I would like to get back to that. Stepping into a whole new OS is one way to do that.

Now, I'd like some information. After reading a lot online and talking to a knowledgeable individual, I've concluded that Ubuntu is probably a good Linux distro for me. It won't be radically different from Windows; it won't be completely command-line operated; it won't take hours to figure out how to duplicate things I could do in seconds with Windows.

So what is there to know about Ubuntu and Linux? What should I be warned of before jumping into this? What other distros might I want to try? How easy or hard is it to get online, set up a chat client, find drivers for my devices, plays games (*cough* Civ 4)? How customizable is Linux? How easy is it to **** my system so hard I need to format the hdd? And monkeys?

Thanks.
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Just install Ubuntu and play around with it.
    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Commie.

Comment

I want to argue with Asher.
        No, no, no. That's not arguments, that's abuse.

-Arrian
        grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Lots of guys experiment when they are your age. The cute ones like it a lot and never go back.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Asher
            Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
              Lots of guys experiment when they are your age. The cute ones like it a lot and never go back.
              I did that thread a few years back. You weren't a dick in it. I'm straight now.
              "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael
                I did that...a few years back. I'm straight now.
                If I had a nickel...
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                  ...leaving more cute women for me!

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
                    ...leaving more cute women for me!
                    It's really a tragedy, it pollutes the gene pool. Less attractive people are born every year.

Comment

Well that didn't take very long.

Comment

What do you want us to say?

**** > Linux. Why would anyone talk about Linux?

Comment

Mr Linus

I need a foot massage

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael

I did that thread a few years back. You weren't a dick in it. I'm straight now.
                            Wait, um... are we still talking about Linux?
                            B♭3

Comment

I have heard good things about Ubuntu.

JM
                              Jon Miller-
                              I AM.CANADIAN
                              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Working...
                              X