Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spoilerific: Is Jaime Lannister a villain, a good guy, or just a guy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He is just a guy.

Almost all of the characters are flwed in some respect.

Almost all are written to be complex characters who are creatures shaped by their environment. At first blush one may think good or evil but as the characters evolve they're just people.

The one exception might be Joffrey (where it is hard to find anything redeeming)
    "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Ceresi is an evil ***** who needs to die.

Comment

She is now, she wasn't always.

JM
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Was so.
          "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
          "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
          "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
            Ves makes the worst threads... we should have a poll on this, but it'd be 5,000,000 to 1 that he does.

Standing tradition since 2005.
            "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
            "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
            "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

WhoTF?
                Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

The author explained his works, in general, as a confrontation between romanticism and reality, where the romantics always lose. It's much more interesting than a good/evil division imo. So Jaime is an interesting character because he's somewhat romantic (has a concept of what chivalry ought to be) but doesn't live to that respect, as he's too weak (yielding to his sister and his father) and too realistic (he's got much in common with his brother here).
                  He's not a bad chap per se, he just happens to be on the Lannister side which the readers tend to see as 'bad guys', and his love for his sister makes him do things that are extreme. So when he's not a puppet of Cersei, he is a really nice guy.
                  Clash of Civilization team member
                  (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                  web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

I never really connected with Jaime until book four. For the first two he was just a bad guy and in the third he spent too much time getting beat up and in shock over losing his hand which lead to quite a bit of moping. For some reason I can't stand mopey/whiny fictional characters no matter how justified their moping/whining is.

In the 4th book he really seems to have got his bearings and seems to becomming comfortable in his skin for the first time in a long time and really seems to be making peace with who he is and how people view him (for example how he got Riverrun to surrender). Also while reading the 4th book I was suffering from a tragic lack of Tyrion-style humor and Jaime was the best stand-in that I had.
                    Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe
                      He is just a guy.

Almost all of the characters are flwed in some respect.

Almost all are written to be complex characters who are creatures shaped by their environment. At first blush one may think good or evil but as the characters evolve they're just people.

The one exception might be Joffrey (where it is hard to find anything redeeming)
                      Gregor Clegane?
                      Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

If you look at what they have done, the Lannister side are (Some of the) bad guys.

Of course, there aren't many who aren't bad guys. Well, and who live.

JM
                        Jon Miller-
                        I AM.CANADIAN
                        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Even the Clegane's have a little bit to explain them. Joffrey is deliberately portrayed as unadulterated evil.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                            Even the Clegane's have a little bit to explain them. Joffrey is deliberately portrayed as unadulterated evil.
                            Well he did try to give his "father" a kitten.
                            Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Club thread! Close it!
                              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Bosh

Well he did try to give his "father" a kitten.
                                Cats are teh evil 'nuff said.
                                "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Working...
                                X