No announcement yet.

Borat - lost on some folks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have yet to see Jackass or Borat. One of these days (if they ever get on cable)

Comment

Have you ever seen Jackass on MTV?
      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

You really don't expect me to watch MTV do you?

I haven't watched since the cancelled Beavis and Butthead. Those asswipes.

Comment

For me, what it ultimately comes down to is that I don't like this sort of humor. Embarrassment as humor doesn't work for me. Playing pranks on nice, unsuspecting people (Jackass) is not my idea of funny.

As for Borat, I gather it's in the same basic class, but with pretensions of "social commentary." I've never seen it, nor Ali G or whatever.

-Arrian
          grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Dis

Beavis & Butthead.
            MTV

-Arrian
            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
              I have yet to see Jackass or Borat. One of these days (if they ever get on cable)
              Don't hold your breath. Even after you pay for cable and pay for a premium channel, you'll find the good movies are shuffled off to pay-per-view.

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler

Don't hold your breath. Even after you pay for cable and pay for a premium channel, you'll find the good movies are shuffled off to pay-per-view.
                they usually get to HBO or showtime eventually. PPV gets first crack at it.

Just watched Munich recently. Decent movie. Could have been better, but I have no complaints.

Comment

I liked Borat movie, some scenes were comedy gold (the naked fight scene for example), but I couldn't understand why he so much emphasized these antisemitism "jokes" which I didn't find funny at all. He's Jewish though, so I guess they are funny to him or he wouldn't have done them.

Comment

Right, I think he kind of overdid it with the Jew jokes too. I mean, a bit less would have been funnier IMO. Too many and it loses the whole idea and you start wondering, "why is this guy going on about this thing over and over again..".

Like said, the movie format doesn't do justice to Borat. The interviews segments were difficult to set in, and sometimes it was difficult to tell which person was in on it, and which person wasn't. That kind of does it for me, I mean, if I know the person is in on it, then it doesnt' work, because then he's just a guy playing idiot.
                    In da butt.
                    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Most people were probably on it, it's hard to not see the big camera in the room.

The guy running away from Borat somewhere in NYC shrieking "go away! go away!" was definitely genuine though

Comment

Originally posted by Dis

Same here.

Dude...and you're surprised there're calling you 'sir' now. Face it Dis, we ARE getting old on.
                        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                        Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Working...
                        X