Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do men dominate the technical fields so much?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by One_more_turn
    When my son was born, we tried to give him dolls to play. He didn't even bother. Then we had little cars and trains lying around, he jumped on them immediately.

Now that my daughter is born, we will give her cars and trains first and study the response.
    Experimenting on children.
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

yeah was just going to say that
      Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.

Comment

At school the girls were normally better at math than the boys and those few ladies I know that study/have studiesd mathematics were very good in their field.

The average quality of female physicists I've met is significantly lower than the average quality of male physicists that I've met.

"Doing well" in high-school mathematics is meaningless. Anybody who's not completely retarded can learn that stuff if they work hard (which women are generally better at than men).
        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Killing it is the new killing it
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Brachy-Pride
          because more men are very good at maths than women

I think thats the way God/nature made us
          agreed. As an add on men think logically, women think irrationally. . JK

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
            The average quality of female physicists I've met is significantly lower than the average quality of male physicists that I've met.
            Care to speculate why?
            Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

PMS
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I think "working hard" can be looked at as an ability in most contexts. Perhaps not high-end physics, I dunno. But in most things, people who are reasonably smart and work their tails off are more valueable than lazy geniuses.

-Arrian
                grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

I'd take a lazy super-genius over an above-average over-achiever any day. It's easier to exploit a lazy super-genius as long as you don't piss him (or her) off.
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Take them for what purpose? Any purpose? If so, you're a fool.

Ah, you DanSed me. I still don't really know what you mean, but ok.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

To use a sports analogy, this is sort of the debate between a super-talented player who has injury issues and a less talented guy who plays every game.

Which guy you prefer depends on how the rest of your team is constructed.

-Arrian

Comment

I am thinking about this purely from a research point of view. Say I am funding research and my super-genius has a break-through. I can exploit it and make a ton of money and he'll be none the wiser as long as I keep him content because a lazy super-genius is too lazy to do anything about it.

Over-achievers will fight like hell if you try to exploit them.

exploitation

profit
                        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

From the standpoing of research, ok, the supergenius is a valid choice. For most other things, not so much. That's all I'm saying.

Most people don't work in research labs.

-Arrian

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian

Most people don't work in research labs.
                            Maybe they should.
                            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael

Care to speculate why?
                              There's a number of possible explanations whih spring to mind:

1) Men are intrinsically better at mathematics or are more intelligent than women. Therefore no matter which sample you take (assuming that becoming a physicist selects in an unbiased way for mathematical ability or intelligence...which is not true) the average male in that sample will have a higher IQ or better mathematical abilities than the average female in that sample. This would additionally explain the relative dearth of female physicists.

2) Women are less drawn to physics than men are (despite having identical mathematical abilities as men on a statistical level). To "correct" the gender imbalance thus caused, physics departments encourage female applications and grant priority to female applicants (this part is not speculation). This means that the selection process for male physicists is more stringent than the selection process for female physicists, meaning that the females selected will have lower average ability than the males selected.

3) Similar to 1, except instead of postulating a different "average" intelligence or ability in mathematics you propose a similar average with different standard deviations. In other words, larger numbers of very stupid males, but also larger numbers of very smart males. When sampling the top end of the spectrum, you again expect the females caught by this sample to have lower average ability than the males caught by this sample.

Simple "women aren't encouraged to go into technical fields" can explain the lower numbers, but cannot explain my observation of the relative abilities of the males and females which I've seen. In fact, if it was simple selection bias against women who have the ability to enter physics then you would expect the average female physicist to be significantly smarter than the average male physicist. Since my sampling is based on physicists in their mid to late 20s, this may well have been true in previous generations of physicists, but as far as I can tell it's not true today.
                              12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Killing it is the new killing it
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Sava

Maybe they should.
                                Just say NO to Savasploitation!

-Arrian

Comment

Working...
                                X