Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you married a woman, would you take on her last name?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you married a woman, would you take on her last name?

I admit I probably wouldn't. But I'd be okay if she kept hers. The thing is, my last name is cool. . I wouldn't change it. it's 5 letters long, and was also the name of a president (albeit not a very good one).

Apparantly it's a lot of work for a man to change his name to his wife's surname.

Yes
    25.71%
    No
    65.71%
    I'm a woman who likes bananas
    8.57%

Re: If you married a woman, would you take on her last name?

Originally posted by Dis
    I admit I probably wouldn't. But I'd be okay if she kept hers. The thing is, my last name is cool. . I wouldn't change it. it's 5 letters long, and was also the name of a president (albeit not a very good one).
    Is that Bushe or Hoove?

As to the question: I might do it, but only if the wife's adamant. Otherwise, I definitely wouldn't go through the hassle of having a new name.
    Last edited by Spiffor; January 15, 2007, 17:42.
    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

though if the wife's name was the surname of some rich and powerful family, I might do it. Say Kennedy for example. But that would be the wrong reason for doing it.

So yes, I would rename my surname to Bush if Jenna Bush and me happen to get married. She's a good lay, but I'm not sure if she's marriage material.

Comment

No.
        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
          though if the wife's name was the surname of some rich and powerful family, I might do it. Say Kennedy for example. But that would be the wrong reason for doing it.

So yes, I would rename my surname to Bush if Jenna Bush and me happen to get married. She's a good lay, but I'm not sure if she's marriage material.
          Right. "Zkribbler Mellon-Gates" has quite a ring to it --better than my current last name, which means "swamp dweller"

Comment

No comment.
            One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

If she wanted and has a respectable name, why not?

That said, I definitely wouldn´t change my name to Bush
              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

It depends on a few things. I'm not really sure how I would feel

I'd have to consider how the name goes with my first name. I wouldn't take on an Anglo sounding name unless it was "Jones". Sava Jones

Also, it depends how hot this girl is, how much money she makes, how she treats me, etc... Hmmm... maybe that stuff doesn't matter as much as how the name sounds with my name.

Instead of taking on her last name, I'd have us both change our last name to Jones.

Sava JONES!

I was in Target the other day and there were these 3 fat black people (a family) and the mom was talking to the two fat kids and I didn't catch the whole conversation, but she just says, "and that's JONES... with a 'J'"

I guess you had to be there.
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Spelled J-O-A-N-apostrophe-S!

Comment

hmm-- I didn't change my name-- I didn't really expect my wife to change hers but she chose herself to change her name to mine--
                    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

I probably wouldn't, nor would I want my spouse to change theirs.
                      B♭3

Comment

What last name do you give your kids??

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler

Right. "Zkribbler Mellon-Gates" has quite a ring to it --better than my current last name, which means "swamp dweller"
                          Mesloh?

Comment

I don't have any attachment to my last name. I'd probably prefer to come up with a new last name with my wife if we were changing names.

Comment

Re: If you married a woman, would you take on her last name?

Originally posted by Dis

Apparantly it's a lot of work for a man to change his name to his wife's surname.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/LAW/01/12/ta....ap/index.html
                              Adams or Davis?
                              meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Working...
                              X