X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Datajack Franit
    Still, this looks like an awful lot of space that could have a better use
    Yep. Fewer lanes, more cars.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
      In the early 1900s, even my home town of 1,400 in Ohio had passenger rail. But about 80 years ago, the station shut down. Why would it have shut down, if it was the best way to do personal transportation?

It's obvious that cars have been the way to go for about 80 years now.
      Any technology as heavily subsidized as the car were would obviously gain in traction.

Trains are better than cars for moving large numbers of people. Obviosuly unimportant po-dunnk places like your hometown don't have enough people to be worth train service. We are talking cities here, not holes in the map.
      If you don't like reality, change it! me
      "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
      "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
      "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Yep. Fewer lanes, more cars.
        Traffic taking twice as long! More smog, higher rates of lung diseases, more fat asses too! Yeah!
        If you don't like reality, change it! me
        "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
        "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
        "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand

Sterling dissertation on life in Copenhagen.
          Do the people of Copenhagen understand raper-like wit?
          Apparently not.
          They probably would if they saw a demonstration of it.
          (\__/)
          (='.'=)
          (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

More smog= stop driving SUVs unless you cross swamps for your daily commute
            I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Thue

That is only part of the Copenhagen train system. The other part:

Also, there is an extensive bus coverage.
              Foiled again.
              Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

It's obvious that cars have been the way to go for about 80 years now.

I missed this jewel. Don't complain if your obese country's money goes to Saudi Arabia for building mosques promoting wahabism worldwide, inciting Jihad and financing terrorist groups flying planes through buildings. In our times, mass transit is not just a way of protecting the environment.
                I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

(\__/)
                  (='.'=)
                  (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Heh, we could go on forever on the economic merits of cars vs. trains, which have and will fluctuate with time.

But vehicles are about more than just getting from point A to B, they're very much part of one's lifestyle.

If mass transit spent a similar amount in advertising and styling as carmakers did, perhaps there'd be more GePaps and fewer DanS's in the USA.
                    Visit First Cultural Industries
                    There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                    Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

(\__/)
                      (='.'=)

Comment

Try to keep in mind, that these PRT's are for dense commercial/industrial areas of the city - not the entire city.

Places like here in Singapore, where almost everyone lives in a high-rise building or works in one, PRT's would be ideal, all that road space would suddenly become available as well. Singapore is one city that does not need cars.
                        be free

Comment

Oh, I missed that:

The fact is that for about 80 years, the US has taken the enlightened approach and embraced the automobile.

Thanks for the laugh
                          "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                          "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                          "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Smiley
                            perhaps there'd be more GePaps and fewer DanS's in the USA.
                            Heaven help us. GePap's a chronic depressive. He might as well be a Slav.

Besides, I don't own a car. Just pointing out obvious facts.
                            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Working...
                            X