Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Re: Re: Personal rapid transit

Originally posted by Thue

That ignores advantages like pollution, safety, and non-cluttering of roads.

At least it would make sense to make PRT systems instead of the current subways/city railways.

The fact that making subways makes enough economic sense for them to be made, even if some of them cost 90M€/km, also indicates to me that PRTwould make economic sense.
    subways make sense in select places cause they get economies of scale from multiple people per car, and multiple cars per train. If its going to be strictly personal there are few advantages to a rail based system vs fully automated, electric rubber tires on roads. Only real advantages are A. the battery problem and B. Ability to squeeze more infrastructure in crowded areas A is likely to be resolved before your system is built anywhere, and B is an issue only in select places. In general its far easier to maintain roads than rails, the cost of construction for elevated systems and rails is very high. the advantage of being able to pass is significant, etc, etc.

And youre blocking a lot of sunlight if you use elevateds. If you build subways, the cost per mile is even higher.
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Does anyone actually give a damn about cars polluting?
      I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Not me.
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor

"Low density" has a different meaning in Europe and in the US.

In Europe, you can perfectly have a tightknit village of a few thousands surrounded by fields, not too far from the centre, which justifies a station because the villagers can go to the station by foot or bike. That's very different from the US suburbia.
          that is correct, though pre-auto there were some US suburbs that fit that pattern, esp in parts of Greater NY, Philly, and Boston, largely built around commuter RR stations, or in some cases, "trams" (See streetcar suburbs)

There is a movement afoot, the new urbanism, to build new suburbs more like that, or to retrofit villages into older suburbs. The real problem is one word in your post - stations. You can justify a station on an existing rail line much more easily than a new rail line. So in places like Chicago, with an existing network of freight rail lines, its far easier to add commuter services, than in somewhere like DC, where there were never many rail lines. Today, as DanS knows, virtually every one of the old rail lines around DC has commuter service. But new lines can only be justified by metro level service, which requires much higher densities.
          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by Datajack Franit
            Does anyone actually give a damn about cars polluting?
            Sure, But most of the pollution benefits of transit are due to economies of scale. If youre running personal transit vehicles, youre not doing much better than cars on roads, except that theyre electric, depending on how you generate your power. and again, electric cars a possibility.

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
              None of those cities are anywhere close to LA's size.

DC and New York have excellent subway systems. Phillie's is crap, though.
              LA, in case you havent noticed, is laid out differently. Its downtown was never as dominant a place of employment, and its densities were too low. (also snow and ice as motives to avoid driving are significant in North America) Today, as peripheral employment centers have gotten bigger, and densities have grown, LA has build several lines. IIUC they are looking at more. They also have several commuter rail lines. But they started from virtually nothing not long ago, and they have a long way to go, and still much of the area is too low density for any rail transit to work.

BTW LA has one of the highest volume bus systems in the US.

Comment

Unless we're talking about Hydrogen buses, they still pollute
                I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Datajack Franit
                  Unless we're talking about Hydrogen buses, they still pollute
                  so does electricty generation for rail systems, as well as the processes used to build rail systems. Its just a question of the best tradeoffs in any situation. In many buses are the best transit solution.

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP
                    Nor Copenhagen...

That is only part of the Copenhagen train system. The other part:

Also, there is an extensive bus coverage.
                    http://www.hardware-wiki.com - A wiki about computers, with focus on Linux support.

Comment

I've been on the thought of PRT's for many years.

I have come to the conclusion that the ideal way to change from roads to rails is to have all new apartment buildings and office buildings require the facilities to connect to the new rail lines. Eventually, maybe in 50-100 years, roads can be completely replaced by rails.

This is not something you can do within a 10-20 year period. But it is definitely worth doing and probably inevitable.
                      be free

Comment

Still, this looks like an awful lot of space that could have a better use

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Originally posted by DanS

The fact is that for about 80 years, the US has taken the enlightened approach and embraced the automobile.
                          Traffic jams, tons of pollution, and suburban sprawl is enlightened?

Comment

Not me.

Comment

DC's Metrorail is a special case. It was constructed mainly through federal funding because DC is a capital city. Strictly on economic grounds, it probably would not have made sense to build it, as evidenced by the fact that very few other US cities have extensive subways.

Basically, New York City's subway stands alone. But I note that even the NYC subway has not grown in the last 50 years.
                              building undergound tunnels, specially in areas with immense undeground development is very costly. If the NYC subway has not grown, is because the funding necessary has never materialized. Hopefully in the next 20 years we will finally see some epxnsions come into play once people enlighten themselves away from the automobile in a dense urban center like NYC.
                              If you don't like reality, change it! me
                              "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                              "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                              "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

In the early 1900s, even my home town of 1,400 in Ohio had passenger rail. But about 80 years ago, the station shut down. Why would it have shut down, if it was the best way to do personal transportation?

It's obvious that cars have been the way to go for about 80 years now.
                                I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Working...
                                X