Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pork soup illegal in France - part 2

Remember that story from January 2006?
    BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

French crackdown on 'racist soup'

A homeless man eats pork soup during a free soup distribution in Paris
    The charity groups say the pork soup give-aways are not racist
    Charity groups with far-right links serving pork soup to homeless people face a crackdown by French officials.

Protesters have accused the groups of deliberate discrimination against Jews and Muslims, who do not eat the meat.

Strasbourg officials have banned the hand-outs and police in Paris have closed soup kitchens in an effort to avert racial tension.

The charities have defended offering what they call traditional cuisine to French and European homeless people.

The groups, operating in cities across France and neighbouring Belgium, are not formally linked but are associated with a small far-right organisation called Bloc Identitaire.

'Racial tensions'

Identity Soup, as it has been dubbed by its chefs, was banned in Strasbourg this month after officials ruled it could lead to public disorder.

"Schemes with racial subtexts must be denounced," Strasbourg's mayor Fabienne Keller said.

Although no ban exists in Paris, police have closed soup kitchens in the capital's Montparnasse and Gare de l'Est train stations on administrative grounds.

Volunteers were ordered to re-seal soup containers on the basis they did not have the necessary permits to distribute food.

Volunteers pour pork soup into a bowl during a free distribution to the homeless in Paris
    The operation has drawn as many protesters as homeless people

A leading French anti-racism movement has urged Interior Minister Nicolas Sarkozy to ban pork soup give-aways throughout the country.

Bernadette Hatier, vice president of the Movement Against Racism and for Friendship Between Peoples, said the scheme was a ploy to drum up far-right votes ahead of 2007 presidential elections.

'Nothing illegal'

Many local authorities have said they are powerless to intervene as the groups are not breaking the law.

National Front spokesman Bruno Gollinisch said that people had the right to be charitable to whomever they want.

He described moves to ban the pork soup kitchens as "revelatory of authorities' alienation from the French people".

Dominique Lescure, head of the Nice-based group Soulidarieta, said pork was a traditional part of French cuisine.

But he admitted wanting to serve the soup to what he called his "compatriots and European homeless people".

France's Muslim population is the largest in western Europe and is estimated at five million

Well apparently, after a low instance court had ruled that the charity was legal, another comittee appointed by the Interior Ministry canceled the decision. The charities are now forbidden to operate. Couldn't find a link in English though, as the news was reported in the French media yesterday.
    In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Re: Pork soup illegal in France - part 2

Originally posted by Oncle Boris
    Well apparently, after a low instance court had ruled that the charity was legal, another comittee appointed by the Interior Ministry canceled the decision. The charities are now forbidden to operate. Couldn't find a link in English though, as the news was reported in the French media yesterday.
    It's not exactly a committee appointed by Sarkozy. It's the equivalent of the supreme court

Well, France has 3 judicial systems: one for general justice, one for the constitutional conformity of laws, and one for the legal conformity of administrative decisions. A low-instance administrative court overruled the ban in the past. The supreme administrative court overruled the decision, and made the ban valid again.
    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

I don' t like this. The state shouldn't dignify or enforce dietary superstitions, even if it is giving right-wingers a chance to make nuisances of themselves.

Comment

Agreed. IMO, it gives much more opportunity to the identitarians of all sides.
        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident

Comment

I think the problem is that they're calling it "Identity Soup". That sorta reveals their intentions.
          "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Idiotic. If muslims and jews do not want to eat them, nobody's forcing them. Dumb French and political correctness.
            "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
            I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
            Middle East!

Comment

Originally posted by Heresson
              Idiotic. If muslims and jews do not want to eat them, nobody's forcing them. Dumb French and political correctness.
              It's not political correctness that pushed for the ban. It's the fact that it is a deliberately racist provocation, which could lead to trouble in the public order.

I disagree with the ban, but I can understand that the police wants to prevent public trouble, by barring such behaviour. Just like the police can ban demonstrations (or channel them through specific streets), in case it violently clashes with a counter-demonstration.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor

It's not political correctness that pushed for the ban. It's the fact that it is a deliberately racist provocation, which could lead to trouble in the public order.

I disagree with the ban, but I can understand that the police wants to prevent public trouble, by barring such behaviour. Just like the police can ban demonstrations (or channel them through specific streets), in case it violently clashes with a counter-demonstration.
                not racist, sectarian. non-religious Jew or a christian Arab may eat pork, after all
                And it's not a matter of the state. They want to give pork soups - their buiseness. Bah, even if it was out of state money, I would be hesitant if You should resign of serving pork just to please some minorities, but at least it would make sense, because they are paying taxes as well. Unless it is of public funds, anyone can do with his money and pork whatever he wishes.
                "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                Middle East!

Comment

France, thy name is appeasement!

Comment

Originally posted by Heresson

not racist, sectarian. non-religious Jew or a christian Arab may eat pork, after all
                    And it's not a matter of the state. They want to give pork soups - their buiseness. Bah, even if it was out of state money, I would be hesitant if You should resign of serving pork just to please some minorities, but at least it would make sense, because they are paying taxes as well. Unless it is of public funds, anyone can do with his money and pork whatever he wishes.
                    the business of the state is simply keeping the peace, and in this instance they seem to believe that riots would ensue if they don't ban it.

I hardly think that I or anyone else here on Poly is adequately informed to make THAT decision. However, I'd certainly rather see them not ban this and just let the public ridicule the morons doing this. I presume the French are capable of peacefully ridiculing morons like this?
                    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandman
                      I don' t like this. The state shouldn't dignify or enforce dietary superstitions, even if it is giving right-wingers a chance to make nuisances of themselves.
                      exactly. this is handing our soup to the homeless for crying out loud...
                      "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

It is not simply handing out food to the homeless, but doing it in such a way that provokes envy and hatred. It is also exclusionary.

The way to counter this is not to ban it, but to make it irrelevant, by giving out food that everyone can enjoy.
                        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Meanwhile, two cities are now serving completely free meals to their schoolchildren. Nowadays, school-meals generally involve choice, and there's always a pork-less meal in said choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
                            You know, in free countries we restrain the people who are actually violating public order.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
                              the business of the state is simply keeping the peace, and in this instance they seem to believe that riots would ensue if they don't ban it.
                              As I said, in free countries the government's job is to restrain the actual rioters.

Comment

Working...
                              X