Movie Industry Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Movie Industry Help

So, any of you guys know anyone? I'm not talking about movie stars or producers etc.. rather the school environment.

See, I got this good friend of mine and he is a cool dude, and I kind of need to do him a favour. He is extremely talented young man, he's done some work, directing is his thing but he can do other stuff as well (well you need to, if you want to be a real director). He got into ALL film schools he applied in, which were kind of rigorous processes, with all kinds of multi-day tests, from shooting to interviews to working with the sound, he passed them all and was in top of all of those lists. He has also worked for all major TV stations, done some editing to them etc. And he is young.

The problem with him is though, that while he is highly artistic, hard worker and talented, he doesn't have the proper environment in here. He is quitting the school, the top one he got into with ease, because it's simply not for him. He feels it's wasting his time, it's really really frustrating, and that he just is depressed about how crappy the place is. He doesn't want to be there.

Now, I want to give him a gift, because he's a cool guy, down to earth and my good friend. I hate to see him depressed. He has got what it takes to be great, he is a cinema fanatic, he's like the Quentin Tarantino, who is just looking to get a real shot. Plus, if he needs to wing it, he can show his talent, so it's not all talk.

So I want to do him a favour by doing some scouting. You know, because he's got these ideas about schools that they're impossible to get in and stuff. He even thought he screwed up last year, before he heard he got into all schools he applied, top of the list. Just because 'it didn't went perfect'. The way he likes it. He is like the dude from Entourage, the director, who did the Queens Boulevard. if it isn't perfect, screw it, he'd rather sit on it and f the suits, but that's his real character Except he is easier to work with, naturally.

So anyone of you guys know anyone in the industry, or schools (not some boring schools, but schools with actual potential and real credentials)? I know the guy, you say well he should look it up, but the problem is, he won't unless it's perfect. That is to say, unless he is being perfect. So don't use that as an argument, if I can show him an opportunity, I can also talk him into it, and it's almost guaranteed if there is a shot, he will complete it with high remarks. I just need to show that opportunity to him.

It's like, I feel I'm the guy who makes things happen, and then he goes and trashes the competition. So, I'm not a partner in any real sense, but I do organize, I do get my way, he respects it, I respect his talent I don't got. So guys, if you have anything, give me some juice here..

So the mission statement is, to scout educational possibilities for highly talented movie person, who is going to be a director (and has directed already). Anyone got any connections, time to share. I'm not going to give anyone a bad name here, he really is talented and good, top of his peers.
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

The environment should be in the US, but other suggestions are also welcome.

I'm looking to pull some favours here guys, if anything works, I'm prepared to return favours. Just if you know someone and could ask them for an advice, or even a favour, if you know any good schools (they have to be good, that's why he is quitting this one)..

I guess we could be able to send like portfolios and stuff as well, if we get anyones attention. This is also a huge favour for me, because if I can help my good friend to go on with his career to the next giant step, that's a great thing to do so that's all I'm looking for.
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

Wasn't mono a film/theatre major? You might want to send him a PM
      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

mono who?

Thanks for the tip, I will. This really means a lot to me, since it's a good friend of mine, not just a friend but a good friend, the kind of guy who saves your ass and you save theirs in return and it's all good.

So nice one KH, and the rest of you, get to work! Keep'em coming ...

I'm telling you guys, if you get any leverage, time to use it. THis kid is awesome. When have I ever vouched for anyone? Never. I don't vouch. Except for this guy. I put my name and everything to the table. If it's an issue of money, I'll do everything to help him. I'll support him financially, if he gets a shot at his dream, I'll get a small loan for myself just to get it happening, and I trust this guy, because he's got it.

So anything will do, time to get the feet moving, shaking and grooving! (gosh that sounded.. homo.)
        In da butt.

Comment

monolith...might be a number after that
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

ah, monolith thanks.
            In da butt.

Comment

monolith94
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

The emperor fabulous might also be a film student. I can't recall.
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Didn't the guy who filmed Desperado (Rodriguez or somathing?) get the money by being a volunteer for medicine tests. Just a thought

Comment

USC has great facilities and it's in LA, making it a bit easier to get noticed by mainstream Hollywood. Very competitive though.
                    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

jrabbit, oh that looks like a good one.

Keep suggestions coming, I'll do a research on the USC now.

Also, if someone knows anyone, let me know. I always win the competition by eliminating it before it begins Full proof strategy.
                      In da butt.

Comment

"The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                        "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                        "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

OK the schools I have accepted through my filter are so far the following:

USC (thanks for the tip)
                          National Film and Television School of London
                          American Film Institute

WE NEED MORE!

This is what we'll do, I will also apply to these schools, but just to help my friend. I told him that I really want to get in too, which is not true. But it'll make it easier, and because I'm familiar with the tests he needs to take (TOEFL etc), so in reality I 'm just helping him to score high, plus make sure he applies correctly, gets all the right letters of recommendtaions, proper essay, help him polish the portfolio etc. I'm making my own on the side, but those are only ... a trick.

That's because .. he needs to go there. If I see him here for one more year, I'm going to kill him. You know? People with his talent, just to see that go to waste is a damn shame. Sure, I was talking to him just few minutes ago and he said that he still gets to work with the 'cream of the national level'.. but then he admited it's not what he really wants to do because that doesn't mean anything. He wants to shoot with real film, but he said they'll allow him for maximum of 10 minutes during the whole freaking education. So that sucks.

Plus, there's no investors, no industry in here. He needs ot be where the action is. So I'm just kicking him there, I don't care, I just don't want to see his face in here anymore. It's a waste.
                          In da butt.

Comment

Kontiki, nice! Thanks Hey check it out, all my three picks are in those lists Jeesh, I must be good at this.
                            In da butt.

Comment

Hmhh, I wonder who it was, who knew the director of Napoleon Dynamite.. Emp Fab?
                              In da butt.

Comment

Working...
                              X