Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The second Xbox 360 revealed

According to Engadget

Ever wonder why Microsoft hasn't released an HDMI cable for the Xbox 360, or whether the AV port was really capable of digital out? Well, here's your answer: we landed pictures of what appears to be the second Xbox 360 -- the Xbox 360 v2, if you will -- codenamed Zephyr. (The original Xbox 360, if you recall, was codenamed Xenon.) The long rumored about and awaited update to the console won't just feature a new, cooler 65nm processor, it's also finally added an HDMI port for full digital 1080p pleasure, as well as a 120GB drive, just what the doctor ordered. The 120GB drive may or may not come bundled with the kit, we don't yet know, just as we also don't yet know how much a Zephyr 360 is going to run (we imagine it'll go for the same price as currently so they can keep up a little on their expanding margin). But our very kind Xbox insider seemed happy to let us know we'd be able to get them "soon."
    Ever wonder why Microsoft hasn't released an HDMI cable for the Xbox 360, or whether the AV port was really capable of digital out? Well, here's your answer: we landed pictures of what appears to be the second Xbox 360 -- the Xbox 360 v2, if you will -- codenamed Zephyr. (The original Xbox 360, if you recall, was codenamed Xenon.) The long rumored about and awaited update to the console won't just feature a new, cooler 65nm processor, it's also finally added an HDMI port for full digital 1080p pleasure, as well as a 120GB drive, just what the doctor ordered. The 120GB drive may or may not come bundled with the kit, we don't yet know, just as we also don't yet know how much a Zephyr 360 is going to run (we imagine it'll go for the same price as currently so they can keep up a little on their expanding margin). But our very kind Xbox insider seemed happy to let us know we'd be able to get them "soon."
    Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Ever wonder why Microsoft hasn't released an HDMI cable for the Xbox 360, or whether the AV port was really capable of digital out?

no
    Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
    Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Why is Microsoft still skimping out on the HD? 120GB is nothing.

These are not desktop sized HDs. 120GB is a lot and not cheap in laptop sizes.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

It's probably very easy to make a DVD/HD-DVD combo drive, since they use the same laser.

Blue...red...same thing...
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Apparently, their HD download movie service is getting good reviews and some solid business, so I would think it makes sense to increase the hard drive size from 120 GB.
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

120 GB is a lot in a smallish package, dude.

For laptop HDs it's probably ~50 cents a GB marginal cost.
            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Killing it is the new killing it
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

What's the price of a movie download from its service?
              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

No idea.

But as somebody said, you can onlykeep the movie for 14 days, and any play after the first day incurs an additional fee.

How much does an HD movie take up in the format we're talking about?
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Probably 3 or 4 GB with features.

Comment

Okay. Googled it and yeah, 4GB is a reasonable size.

So we're already talking about enough storage space for 30 full-length HD movies. Call it 15 (half goes to other ****)

That's one a day, if you keep them the full 2 weeks.

I don't really see a problem here.
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Well, that's true. On the other hand, Americans spend 5 hours in front of the tube each day...

Comment

That figure always frightened me.

I watch maybe 20 minutes of TV a day...
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I guess it comes down to whether M$ believes that this revision is meant in some ways to be a cable TV replacement. If it were, I would expect more DVR-ish sizes of hard drives.

Comment

I'd love to get rid of my cable TV, but they charge you such a premium for internet-only service that it doesn't make any sense.
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I think it's more of a competitor for Netflix than cable TV.

Comment

Working...
                              X