No announcement yet.

Unambitious budget is disappointing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

These next 2 years are going to be great.
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by TCO
      The closing of the deficit was almost entirely a result of the good economy in the 90s. Part of that genuine, but much bubble related.
      This is the first I've heard that MOST of the economic growth in the 90's was bubble related, and that Congress's pay-as-you-go rule had almost no effect on closing the deficit.

Comment

Think you've got a problem misreading "much" as "most" there, dude.
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

true

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler

This is the first I've heard that MOST of the economic growth in the 90's was bubble related, and that Congress's pay-as-you-go rule had almost no effect on closing the deficit.
            The closing was mostly the result of higher tax revenues which occurred because of the better economy, NOT from higher rates. That you are too stupid the read the WSJ and just follow DKOS homilies is not my problem.

Comment

Well, if you are too stupid to acknowledge the effects of budgetary discipline, let me explain.

Treasury taking in more money than Congress is spending = surplus
              Treasury taking in less money than Congress is spending = deficit.

Anything else you don't understand, feel free to ask.

Comment

True. But let us presume, for a second, that congress holds spending roughly constant. Then tax receipts are the cause of the budget surplus. The economy did well, therefore without higher rates, tax receipts went up. This seems to be what TCO is arguing.

But the main point is, surely if tax receipts go up, the PAYG rule means that spending can then increase. So the surplus was caused not by adhering to the PAYG rule, which just stops deficits, but actually going beyond it and spending less.

TCO: if you're going to claim people are "too stupid the read the WSJ" at least use proper English to do so
                Smile
                For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
                But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

Well, if you are too stupid to acknowledge the effects of budgetary discipline, let me explain.

Treasury taking in more money than Congress is spending = surplus
                  Treasury taking in less money than Congress is spending = deficit.

Anything else you don't understand, feel free to ask.
                  I understand that fine. You on the other hand are too stupid to even know where you're stupid.

Comment

Sorry Drogue. I have rather poor grammar, spelling, and handwriting skills. I just figure the sheer brilliance of my points and my shining rectitude should compensate for those other important things.

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                      The level of spending dwarfs the deficit/debt in importance.
                      A big thing we are spending money on, a fifth to a fourth of our total annual budget IIRC, is interest on our huge debt. That is A LOT of money and absolutely a waste. Government spending pisses me off, but paying interest on debt means that we are spending twice as much for wars and welfare than it actually costs. That pisses me off even more.

So I think the debt is a very important issue.
                      Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Originally posted by TCO
                        The closing of the deficit was almost entirely a result of the good economy in the 90s. Part of that genuine, but much bubble related.
                        That's what Roland said at the time too.
                        DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Check corporate tax revenues.
                          DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Originally posted by TCO
                            The closing was mostly the result of higher tax revenues which occurred because of the better economy, NOT from higher rates.
                            I don't know that to be true, dude. As we've discussed several times, if unadjusted, the effective tax rate increases every year in a good economy due to bracket creep. Also, Alternative Minimum Tax and other tax features creep.

As I understand it, the brackets are now adjusted to inflation, but in a good economy, incomes increase faster than inflation.
                            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP
                              A big thing we are spending money on, a fifth to a fourth of our total annual budget IIRC, is interest on our huge debt. That is A LOT of money and absolutely a waste. Government spending pisses me off, but paying interest on debt means that we are spending twice as much for wars and welfare than it actually costs. That pisses me off even more.

So I think the debt is a very important issue.
                              Given the concept of the time-value of money, you aren't spending twice as much for wars and welfare than it actually costs. The problem with spending money that you don't have isn't that you have to pay interest. Rather, the problem is that at most times governments piss away any cash that they have in their coffers.
                              Last edited by DanS; January 6, 2007, 12:17.

Comment

Here's the spending and revenue chart for the past business cycle. The congress and Clinton lost their way on spending in ~ fiscal year 2000. And then the congress and Bush lost their way on spending concurrent with Iraq. They haven't since corrected the spending increases. 4 years and counting.

It's my opinion that basically, the blue line isn't the important part of the chart, as it volatile due in large part to corporate income taxes. The red line tells the relevant story. With our economy, if you keep the spending increases at most times less than about 5% nominal per annum, you will eventually have a budget that is roughly in balance. This squares with common sense -- our economy grows about 5% nominal per annum.
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by DanS; January 6, 2007, 12:12.

Comment

Working...
                                X