DAMN IT! I flip and flop like John Kerry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DAMN IT! I flip and flop like John Kerry

This is it. This is the crossroads I've been dreading. I have this weekend to make up my mind and make a commitment. As some of you know, I've been doing this whole IT security thing, which interests me a lot, in which I think I'm pretty good.

But I'm doing this research assistant thing at the same time, in the medical field, hospital things. And now, the time has come. I can either commit 100% to the medical field thing (technology in hospitals), or dump it and focus on security.

With security, I have no outside support, but I'm passionate and it comes naturally to me. I'd do my thesis, hopefully PhD, and then kind of .. find my place in the field.

But in this medical business, I'm getting all these offers. I've been offered not only one more project, but tons of projects. As in 'if you want to do this or this, it's yours'. You know? And I have support in it, lots of support. I got this professor who is backing me up, and who is not afraid to throw influence around. In fact, you are either on the good side, meaning you get these offers all the time, or on the bad side, meaning that you have no future .

But I'm on the good side. Should I dump this opportunity, I'm definitely destroyed. And I think, that I might be able to continue to PhD with this one as well. Benefits are also, that I'd be getting paid the all the way until I graduate. Plus, when I'd want to go to do something on my own, I'd have hands on experience, spesific experience.

The things we do are quite advanced, as in, if I'd do my thesis on it, I'd do research in quite a new thing, meaning that people with interest on this spesific thing would maybe even consider me as their peer.

Plus, it is still 'crossfield' thing, meaning that it doesn't only apply to the medical field. On the other hand, I've been reading all these freaking medical journals and stuff, to get the lingo and understand what is happening. So, that wouldn't go to waste either.

But it makes me sad, becuase I'd have to dump the security thing. I was asked to commit today, meaning, that I'll do this and this only, 100% commitment. So there's no time to fool aroudn with security or other stuff.

I don't know what to do. And last time I made this same thread, everyone said, take the medical field, idiot. But it's now that I know, that I truly have to commit and dump the other one.

It is frustrating, because if I only had one of these, I'd be commited and happy. Now, I have one field that I love, and one field that is pretty cool (medical), and that's the one I'm getting all these freaking offers. I haven't even done anything yet, anything concrete. It's like a marketplace, every time I say 'well this is interesting, but my background and passion is ..' and BOOM another offer. So I can shop around in this field, in security field, I can't shop around.

I'm still hoping, that there's a chance, that I'd do this medical thing, whcih is kind of concrete, you know, I'm doing this thing, I have work experience and getting it now, I've done real research, funded by different places, running in my hospital jacket (COOL!! ), being this technodude and.. do my thesis, have all the support from people who are on the freaking edge of this thing, as in they are doing the very latest, so I could not only be supported, but when I do my thesis and thing, I could even further do that same stuff, further. Not read some crap others wrote and do some crap research, but really, something meaningful. Then, if I'd get accepted as PhD student, my hopes are, that I could still get paid from doing this medical field, but maybe I could THEN play with the security stuff as well. Because why not? I do have the knowledge and experience I need for the thesis already from it, it's what I do, it's what I folllow and read on my own freaking time. So it's not like I have to struggle too much.

Then... get my PhD, kind of have both things, because they can be supporting each other.

I don't know. I might have to shoot myself.
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Do you really want to go into the medical field? if you´re not all that interested I don´t think it matters if you get all the offers and a cool hospital jacket... Unless this is what you really want to do, it´s gonna feel hollow and you will be miserable (well, more so then usual ) thinking that you should have stayed in the IT Security field, which you seem to love. If you think the IT security thing will work I say follow your heart and go for this!
    I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

AAARGH!!

Well the hospital thing is cool. Not for the jacket only Security is what I love though. But I have no visible future in it. And the ONLY way I'd do it is to go for the PhD, because I want to do some research on few things. But if I'd go fo rhte PhD ANYWAY, with the medical thing, I WOULD most likely be able to do the security on the side, which really would be enough for me. You know? Plus, dumping this whole hospital thing would be extremely effective on burning all the bridges with my people. it would be like turning gay and communist at the same time.
      In da butt.
      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

Obligatory:

WTF Pekka?!
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

It's nasty guys.. most people on this globe wonder if they should eat today or not eat. Should I wear my other shoe or hte other one.. and I'm here, swearing and all that, because I have two great opportunities.

I think this is what I'll do.. I'll consult the professor and get me another sales pitch, and this time, if I can get 'guaranteed' PhD spot, plus recommendations and all the juice and basically they sell me what I can do AFTER this is over... I might just take the 'safe step' and do that.

While keeping the security thing as my personal passion and ready to make the transition, should a real opportunity rise

NAAAAAARGH! MY head hurts.
          In da butt.

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
            AAARGH!!

Well the hospital thing is cool. Not for the jacket only Security is what I love though. But I have no visible future in it. And the ONLY way I'd do it is to go for the PhD, because I want to do some research on few things. But if I'd go fo rhte PhD ANYWAY, with the medical thing, I WOULD most likely be able to do the security on the side, which really would be enough for me. You know? Plus, dumping this whole hospital thing would be extremely effective on burning all the bridges with my people. it would be like turning gay and communist at the same time.
            Well then. I think you answered your own question here. By going into the medical field (and keeping the IT security gig on the side) you seem to be able to have the cake and eat it at the same time.

Comment

Yes. I'd be paid during the whole time. Get real experience, as in security field I'd do mostly consulting anyway. So... you know, I might be able to keep that with me with the PhD-studies, as a 'hobby' . NEW DREAM! YES! This is what I will do.
              In da butt.

Comment

W00t!

Comment

Thanks Zoid
                  In da butt.

Comment

"I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

You are not getting a man hug for few thumbs up Spiffor..
                      In da butt.

Comment

"I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                        "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                        "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Thanks Zoid
                          I´m just glad to help.

Comment

it would be like turning gay and communist at the same time.
                            Isn't that redundant?

Commies = pinkos
                            "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Working...
                            X