What would happen if....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would happen if....

... the Palestinians simply gave up the armed struggle and adopted Gandhian methods of completely non-violent protest? Or if the Iraqis did that to protest against the American presence? This is not to say that I support either group, I'm just tossing this out as a hypothetical that popped into my mind, as a what-if question.

Re: What would happen if....

Originally posted by aneeshm
    ... the Palestinians simply gave up the armed struggle and adopted Gandhian methods of completely non-violent protest? Or if the Iraqis did that to protest against the American presence? This is not to say that I support either group, I'm just tossing this out as a hypothetical that popped into my mind, as a what-if question.
    In the case of the Palestinians, I think they would get what they want. If they adopted a non-violent approach, the pressure on Israel to give them an independent State would be too great and Israel would have to acquiesce.

In the case of Iraq, if the Iraqi militias adopted a non-violent approach, I think the US military would leave. Part of the reason, we are still there is to combat the violence and train Iraqis to fight the violence. Without the violence, there would be no reason for our troops to stay.
    'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
    G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Comment

The seocnd situation presumes that the violence in Iraq is because of US presence. I think it safe to say it is much more complicated than that.

The rationale for violence in Iraq seems as much if not more so targetted at intra power struggles than violence against foreign oppression.
      "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

democratic states that (at least) pay lip service to human rights tend to be very vulnerable to such tactics.

It seems that the tremendous difficulty in maintaining an appearance of holding the moral high ground by advocates of continued occupation ends up crippling them so badly that they either lose their power in elections or quietly abandon their previous hardliner stance.

These then are the ideal tactics for driving out such occupiers.

Comment

Re: What would happen if....

Originally posted by aneeshm
          I too say that such non-violent tactics would be overwhelmingly successful . . . proving that aneeshm is smarter than the leadership of the Palestnians and the leadership of the Iraqi insurgency put together.

Comment

It's called ****tingandfallingbackinit. Mass seizures would occur.
            The world would tilt on it's axis.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I can see how a Texan might not be able to comprehend how nonviolence works. I mean, Texas has a strong history of violence: First violence against Mexico, and then violence against the United States of America.
              Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
              Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

And don't forget it, buckwheat.
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

The Motto of Texas:

Shoot first and don't bother to ask questions, ever.

Comment

But it won't happen. There's already a culture of celebrating death rising (celebrating martyrs), and behind it is politically motivated people, organized people etc. For them to stop, you'd need to see an overwhelming condemning from the general population... so... I think it won't happen.
                    In da butt.
                    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Although Gandhi went on a hunger strike once to force Hindus and Muslims to stop fighting. ...And they did.

We shall not see the likes of him again.

Comment

You wanna see someone go to hunger strike for any given conflict to stop? I don't, live suicide doesn't seem like entertainment to me.

Yes, where do he have those people these days.. oh wait, I know! If they are on vacation, they go to Thailand, if they are caught, they go to jail... pedophilia is a crime.

Other places you might find them.. hmm.. well, they are usually running all over the world, draft dodgers, silly wussies, or you might find them developing some kind of illness eating tofu all day long and nothing else. So there.
                        In da butt.
                        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
                          Although Gandhi went on a hunger strike once to force Hindus and Muslims to stop fighting. ...And they did.

We shall not see the likes of him again.
                          Don't mention Gandhi in Pekka's presence
                          THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                          AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                          AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                          DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
                            Don't mention Gandhi in Pekka's presence
                            Maybe I should take him out behind the Apolyton House and hit him repeated in the head with a frying pan until he sees the virtue of non-violence.

Comment

I see it! non-violence is great, and it WOULD work in Palestine if everyone truly commited to it. If you'd attack people who are sitting on the ground and singing songs, I mean.. yuo can do that, but you will never be the good guy int he eyes of the public. Of course it works in certain situations.

But I disagree Gandhi being a good guy. I'm nto saying that the thing with India was stupid, it wasn't. They got their freedom from those bastard colonialists, so, there's nothing bad about that. Only Gandhi sucks hairy backs.
                              In da butt.

Comment

Working...
                              X