No announcement yet.

US deaths in Iraq pass 3000, 22,000 seriously wounded

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do they teach you any sort of basic logic where you come from? I suggest you think long and hard about what an annual per capita death rate is.
    What does that have to do with you cutting the numbers in half when Slow very deliberately said "military."

You quoted erroneous numbers and then made a conclusion from them. Tens of thousands of Airforce, Coast Guard, and Navy personnel are and have served in Iraq and Afghanistan. Not that that matters, since you conveniently decided to use an...

undetermined number outside these two theaters
    in your death toll without similarly including the personnel operating in those areas who are not Army and Marine Corps in your total served which would include virtually the entire Navy since everyone gets to the Persian Gulf some time.

I don't think you can say the total served is 5 million. Many of them have done multiple tours. So what you have is the same people going back again.
    Slow said joining the military was safe, not the cherry picked portions KH needed to pretend he had a point. And while I agree that active duty units are being rotated quite liberally, that is of course why they are active duty. And what is a normal army billet stint, 2 to 2-1/2 years? So even in they rotate into Iraq every year, the chances are that most are not the same personnel. Different branches have different career paths but most don't go to combat uits back to back indefinitely either. The simple fact is that the majority of the Marine Corps and Army has yet to serve in Iraq. Again, if you don't cherry pick but rather include the numbers who have served over the whole three years (more since KH is using casualty figures outside Iraq/Afghanistan).
    "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

The numbers don't include deaths from Afghanistan, other combat zones, or non-combat related deaths everywhere else. Being in the military is most certainly not safer than civilian life unless you live in a bad place.

Which isn't to say I necessarily agree with how Kitty was playing with the numbers.
      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
        Since western countries won't commit mass genocide
        As opposed to non-Western countries? Oh, that's right, historically genocide has only been committed by teh dirty darkies.
        THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
        AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
        AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
        DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
          As opposed to non-Western countries? Oh, that's right, historically genocide has only been committed by teh dirty darkies.

We haven't engaged in any genocide in fifty years directly if you define genocide as the mass killing of a people because of their ethnicity or race (the UN definition, which is law in the U.S., is somewhat broader and includes cultural destruction). The Nazis cured us of that awful practice.

Ethnic cleansing, on the other hand . . .

If we'd had a couple more 9/11 level attacks in the U.S. before Bush spent our anger on Iraq, we might have been convinced that the Arabs needed extermination.
          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

That's a hell of a leap.
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Patroklos

What does that have to do with you cutting the numbers in half when Slow very deliberately said "military."
              Did you note how I quite clearly stated my approximations? If you want to halve the number go ahead.
              12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Killing it is the new killing it
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Slow said joining the military was safe, not the cherry picked portions KH needed to pretend he had a point
                You know what, son, add in whatever you want. 45 additional deaths per 100000 per annum is still a huge number in a population of young adults.

But yeah, I agree that joining a ***** force like the Navy is pretty safe.

Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

USN and USAF don't actually fight wars. They plink at cans.
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

It took you three posts to provoke a sympothetic retaliatory responce, you are perhaps the most unsuccessful troll ever.

But I accept your defacto admission of wrong
                    "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

I would imagine that through people entering and leaving the military the total served over that time is 5,000,000 plus.
                      I'd like to see an exacter number, I'm sure its in the millions, also how many have done multiple tours.

I'm not sure what the overall effect has been on morale and combat readiness of the US forces. Lots of combat veterans could mean a tougher force rather than a weakened one.

War veterans can be the backbone years after the war or they can be a drain.
                      Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                        quote:
                        U.S. Traffic Deaths on Rise

By Ken Thomas
                        August 24, 2006

Traffic deaths in the United States reached their highest levels since 1990, the government reported this week. The spike in fatalities was attributed to an increase in motorcycle and pedestrian fatalities.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said 43,443 people were killed on the highways last year, up 1.4 percent from 42,836 in 2004. It was the highest number of fatalities in a single year since 1990, when 44,599 people were killed.

http://www.insurancejournal.com/news...8/24/71690.htm
                        Sending the boys & girls to face middle east traffic, instead of American, isn't going to increase their safety
                        So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                        Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Originally posted by Chemical Ollie
                          Sending the boys & girls to face middle east traffic, instead of American, isn't going to increase their safety
                          Oh, you never know...
                          Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Hi moby
                            Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Comment

deaths now past 3500, haven't seen a figure for wounded

Comment

Originally posted by Ecthy
                                No way to win? How about cutting off their supply? If we know where good parts of their supplies come from, I wonder how can it be so hard to cut off supply routes? The border to Iran might be long but sure there are only a few key roads to control. Syria could easily be occupied, we can do that.
                                Syria? Iran? Huh?
                                The Sunnis who're doing the most of fighting against American forces are getting the bulk of their supplies from Saudi Arabia...
                                Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Working...
                                X