US deaths in Iraq pass 3000, 22,000 seriously wounded

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten

You can also start killing the population that supports the guerillas and not stop until the resistance does. Now, we don't have the stones to do that, but the Shiites sure do...
    genocide
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

It's because you stated the U.S. doesn't have the "stones" to use mass murder and other oppressive methods and because Oerdin recognized that such methods are not in accord with Western values. He just has a better grip on reality than you do.

Western civilization has been the world leader in genocide over the last few centuries. That's how we got on top. You've lost touch with reality if you deny that...
      KH FOR OWNER!
      ASHER FOR CEO!!
      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
        When you think about it, joining the military is actually one of the safest things you can do.
        How many troops are there in Iraq? 150,000 or so? Maybe less than that?

The size of the force that the US has been using to rotate in and out of Iraq is about 500,000 (IIRC). And 3,000 have died. A little less than 1%.

40,000 people died from car accidents... out of 300 million people... driving how many times per day, driving how many miles per person last year?

0.0133%

wow...

In the hundredths of a percent vs just around 1%... and there are lots of things you can do to reduce your risk of dying in a traffic accident... like wearing your seat belt, not driving drunk, not riding on a motorcycle, etc.

In Iraq, it's pretty much a crapshoot whether or not you get your ass blown off by a roadside bomb.

I'll take my chances on the mean streets here in America over the streets of Fallujah, THANKS!
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Take your nighty-night pills and relax, Sava. A lot people die of heart attack and stroke, you know.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I know!

But I've taken significant preventative measures towards reducing my risk factors.

Unless my life is cut short by unnatural means, I should reach 100.
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Too bad social security will have run out.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

I am not going to rely on government handouts.
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Handouts? You goober. Every paycheck you ever received probably had it held out.

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
                    Why's Oerdin getting all the accolades in this thread? I know it's rare for him to say something intelligent and you certainly want to reward him when he does, but that doesn't change the fact that he was just agreeing with me (always a smart course of action)...
                    Drake, is there any excuse for a jab at Oerdin you won't take?
                    Smile
                    For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
                    But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

There might be. Anything is possible...
                      KH FOR OWNER!
                      ASHER FOR CEO!!
                      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                        Handouts? You goober. Every paycheck you ever received probably had it held out.
                        Yeah, but I haven't worked a whole lot.

And I bet I will live a lot longer (IF SOMEONE DOESN'T KILL ME ) than most who use it.

Plus, it's not a savings plan. It's a pay as you go system. The money I did put in went to supporting people using the system.

I don't mind taking care of old or disabled people.

Me though... I'm going to plan ahead.

Either that or have enough kids so that one of them will take care of my ass.
                        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Maybe if you're an idiot you would draw that conclusion.

Virtually all of the US military deaths in Iraq are from Army and MC

The total active duty strength of these two forces is ~650 000

There have been 3000 deaths in Iraq, a couple of hundred in Afghanistan and some undetermined number outside these two theaters (training accidents, etc) in the last 3.5 years

Call it 1000 deaths per annum

That adds up to ~155 deaths per 100 000 per annum, making the USMC+US Army the most dangerous profession in the United States (though not by a huge margin)
                          Common, you are smarter than that.

First off, he said joining the "military", which means you arbitrarily and without reason cut the total in half, because there are over a million active duty soldiers. Then of course since the military is activating reservists by the thousands, you have to count all of them. According to Wiki that gives us 2,685,713. But of course that is just the number at any one time, the 3000 casualties were over 3+ years. I would imagine that through people entering and leaving the military the total served over that time is 5,000,000 plus.

So 3000, out of some odd 5,000,000 odd people having served. However, doesn't that 3000 also count DoD civilian employees does it not?
                          "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Patroklos
                            According to Wiki that gives us 2,685,713. But of course that is just the number at any one time, the 3000 casualties were over 3+ years. I would imagine that through people entering and leaving the military the total served over that time is 5,000,000 plus.
                            Do they teach you any sort of basic logic where you come from? I suggest you think long and hard about what an annual per capita death rate is.
                            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Killing it is the new killing it
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

booo!

Smiling thread icons for death toll threads

Comment

I don't think you can say the total served is 5 million. Many of them have done multiple tours. So what you have is the same people going back again.

I'm surprised they haven't called up Oerdin's unit again. Or did he quit the reserves?

I know they are rotating the same active duty units in and out again. Just bring them back to the states for 6 months or a year to give them a break. Then back to the front.

Comment

Working...
                                X