Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Re: US deaths in Iraq pass 3000, 22,000 seriously wounded

MOBIUS, how'd you hack horsie's account?

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
        When you think about it, joining the military is actually one of the safest things you can do.
        Maybe if you're an idiot you would draw that conclusion.

Virtually all of the US military deaths in Iraq are from Army and MC

The total active duty strength of these two forces is ~650 000

There have been 3000 deaths in Iraq, a couple of hundred in Afghanistan and some undetermined number outside these two theaters (training accidents, etc) in the last 3.5 years

Call it 1000 deaths per annum

That adds up to ~155 deaths per 100 000 per annum, making the USMC+US Army the most dangerous profession in the United States (though not by a huge margin)

12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Killing it is the new killing it
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Though I would hazard a guess that certain illicit professions (drug dealer and prostitute spring to mind) bear a much greater risk.
          12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Killing it is the new killing it
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
            There is only one way to win a guerilla war... and that's to win the hearts and minds of the people.

You can also start killing the population that supports the guerillas and not stop until the resistance does. Now, we don't have the stones to do that, but the Shiites sure do...
            That's the basics of it in a nut shell. Either be willing to do what ever it takes or don't go around invading countries. Since western countries won't commit mass genocide to put down popular rebellions we should just accept that we're unwilling to do what it takes to win these types of wars and thus avoid them.
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

At least 3,000 U.S. service personnel have been killed in the war in Iraq. That landmark figure was reached over the weekend. NPR's Guy Raz reports the dead have come from all branches of the military, from urban and suburban areas of the country. The number also includes 69 women.
              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse

Maybe if you're an idiot you would draw that conclusion.

Virtually all of the US military deaths in Iraq are from Army and MC

The total active duty strength of these two forces is ~650 000

There have been 3000 deaths in Iraq, a couple of hundred in Afghanistan and some undetermined number outside these two theaters (training accidents, etc) in the last 3.5 years

Call it 1000 deaths per annum

That adds up to ~155 deaths per 100 000 per annum, making the USMC+US Army the most dangerous profession in the United States (though not by a huge margin)

http://money.cnn.com/2003/10/13/pf/dangerousjobs/
                us smart guys joined the navy. . Never had to worry about car accidents on board an aircraft carrier. Probably the safest place on earth.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin

That's the basics of it in a nut shell. Either be willing to do what ever it takes or don't go around invading countries. Since western countries won't commit mass genocide to put down popular rebellions we should just accept that we're unwilling to do what it takes to win these types of wars and thus avoid them.
                  for once I'm in total agreement with Oerdin.

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
                    Last I heard, 80% of Iraqis want us to withdraw.
                    I can believe that. The thing is a lot of Iraqis have sided at this point when one of the strongarm leaders like Sadr or the others (I'm only speaking from my experiences in Bagdad as I don't ever leave Bagdad). And most of those leaders and their militias are wanting to kill off/weaken the others and gain control of Iraq for themselves.

But, supposed 74% of Iraqis trust American troops MORE than any others and far more than do their own troops. They would much rather have US forces search their homes and property than Iraqi Police or military members. I think this comes from the politically correctness of our trying to win their hearts and minds and the Iraqi forces don't really give a flip.

My opinion of the situation has changed a lot since I got here. I really think we screwed up by not bombing the heck out of this place intitially. We were so obsessed we being politically correct and setting this great example of civilized combat that we didn't do enough damage intially.

We basically did a surgical strike and took out Saddam and his military. But we left a lot of the locals in charge and let nationals run their own country. I think if we had put expatriots that had been been in "exile" from Iraq in the West in charge and let them run it we might have had more success. Mind you that's just my opinion.

Right now it just seems as all we're doing is putting off the inevitable which would be an all out civil war amongst the 20 or so political/militia groups here for control of the country. Sadly, I don't think more troops here will help that, it would just allow us to keep a better lid on the situation for the time being.

Comment

Oerdin's point about the greater ruthlessness of the enemy is valid.

It is a common point with Vietnam except even less casualties are acceptable to the occupying force now.

A non-US led force is a possible answer imo. But who would go there now?
                      Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Somalia
                        Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
                        Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

The US casualties only make up a fraction of the total death toll.

New high in Iraqi civilian deaths
                          "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
                          "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

More people should had been saying this in 2003
                            So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                            Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

I actually thought about posting a betting thread on whether we would reach the 3000 mark before the year was out - but I thought that would be bad taste...
                              Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Sad but true. And yet sadder is, that is exactly what Saddam did and what he got the receipt for a few days ago. So basically, you either act like the dictator himself, thus losing the moral right to judge him, or you stay out and don't invade such countries. O tempora, o mores.

Comment

Working...
                                X