Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DaShi

Dude, you posted the link.
    It appears there has been a communication gap. "Arse-pedia" refers to the compendium of human information which can be pulled out of one's arse.

First of all, there is no such thing as "evangelism" in Hinduism (the Hare Krishnas have declared themselves to be non-Hindu). He is not trying to convert anybody or bring about a Hindu nation. The programmes he holds are once in the morning and once in the evening. This is so that the people watching them can actually do the exercises he performs sitting in front of their television. The message he sends out is, "Get off your bum and do yoga, do pranayama! If you don't know how, just follow me as I do it." His programmes are how-to manuals with a live demo, not preaching.

Secondly, he is a perfectly legit Swami. He has formally studied Sanskrit and Indian philosophy, along with Yoga, before becoming the TV personality he is. Note that he is not just a TV personality - he has set up a university to conduct research into Yoga, he has set up a massive Yoga centre, along with a lot of other stuff. Rumours about him claim (this is hearsay, and I cannot say whether or not they are accurate) that he was paralysed in the left side of his body, but he overcame and cured that. I don't know whether or not something like that is even possible, but if ever it could be done, it could be done by him. Just looking at his physical fitness is an inspiration.

Some photos (you don't get the full effect until you see the video, but these will do for now):

He will probably outlive us all.

Comment

How do you know that there aren't still cases of this in the countryside?
      Because it would get a hell of a lot of publicity if it did happen. The last time there was a controversy, the laws were tightened so much that even passive witnesses to the act were culpable. Even in older times, it didn't really happen very much.

Comment

Originally posted by aneeshm
        Somebody should donate him a digestive system - he looks pretty empty without one
        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by TCO
          What's the dot for?
          It signifies the point of the agna chakra - the mind chakra. It is worn at the centre of the eyebrows.

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison

Somebody should donate him a digestive system - he looks pretty empty without one
            Those are photos of him doing an asana - a yoga position. It does look unreal, doesn't it? He looks perfectly normal when he is not doing that.
            Last edited by aneeshm; January 2, 2007, 16:37.

Comment

I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

It appears there has been a communication gap. "Arse-pedia" refers to the compendium of human information which can be pulled out of one's arse.

First of all, there is no such thing as "evangelism" in Hinduism (the Hare Krishnas have declared themselves to be non-Hindu). He is not trying to convert anybody or bring about a Hindu nation.
                Yes, he's trying to convert people to his way of thought. He's the kook who told people to stop drinking coke because he was too ignorant to understand the product.

The programmes he holds are once in the morning and once in the evening. This is so that the people watching them can actually do the exercises he performs sitting in front of their television. The message he sends out is, "Get off your bum and do yoga, do pranayama! If you don't know how, just follow me as I do it." His programmes are how-to manuals with a live demo, not preaching.
                Fine, but he's still preaching.

Secondly, he is a perfectly legit Swami. He has formally studied Sanskrit and Indian philosophy, along with Yoga, before becoming the TV personality he is. Note that he is not just a TV personality - he has set up a university to conduct research into Yoga, he has set up a massive Yoga centre, along with a lot of other stuff. Rumours about him claim (this is hearsay, and I cannot say whether or not they are accurate) that he was paralysed in the left side of his body, but he overcame and cured that. I don't know whether or not something like that is even possible, but if ever it could be done, it could be done by him. Just looking at his physical fitness is an inspiration.
                So a lot of TV evangelists have degrees from divinity schools and pursue other interests, although related to their teachings. Ramdev is still a TV evangelists.

Some photos (you don't get the full effect until you see the video, but these will do for now):

He looks severely malnourished. That can lead to dementia, you know.
                “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

It's his dharmic duty to do that.

Also, "arse-pedia"

Comment

Because it would get a hell of a lot of publicity if it did happen.
                    Not if no one outside the village knows or cares. Is every village in India monitored like a police state? If so, India has far surpassed China in this regard.
                    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Aneeshm, you have given a broad outline of the different castes. But aren't there a bunch of subgroupings within each caste?

Comment

Not if no one outside the village knows or cares. Is every village in India monitored like a police state? If so, India has far surpassed China in this regard.
                        No, this would actually be a big, big deal. Funerals are big things, people talk, etc., and pretty much every village has a police station.
                        THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                        AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                        AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                        DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

The woman being suicidal is a sign of social pressures.

JM
                          Jon Miller-
                          I AM.CANADIAN
                          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by RedFred
                            Aneeshm, you have given a broad outline of the different castes. But aren't there a bunch of subgroupings within each caste?
                            Yes, there are. Sub-castes are numerous.

Comment

Working...
                            X