X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awful band..
    www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

I refrained from that gag. However some individuals just don't have the same level of control
      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

PolyCaste!
        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Etchy? what is that?

Comment

Originally posted by aneeshm

He is very definitely a theologian. He has spent quite a few years studying Indian philosophy and religion.

You can read more about it here.

Getting your news about Indian swamis from you is like asking an Al Qaeda guy his opinion of astrophysics.
            He's a TV evangelist.
            “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
            "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

How can you tell what caste someone is? Can't they change their names or whatever?

Comment

Oh and as long as you are answering the white gawkers: what up with the widow burning?

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi

He's a TV evangelist.
                  Do you have any idea whatsoever about Ramdev, or are you relying on arse-pedia?

Comment

Originally posted by TCO
                    How can you tell what caste someone is? Can't they change their names or whatever?
                    We can tell caste by surname. But yes, you can change your name, and lot of people from the erstwhile lower castes do that.

Comment

Originally posted by TCO
                      Oh and as long as you are answering the white gawkers: what up with the widow burning?
                      Nothing, really. It's been illegal since the time Raja Ram Mohun Roy got it outlawed, and the last time it happened for which clear documentation exists was a case in the year I was born (1987), and all the people accused were acquitted, because they could not be proved to be glorifying sati.. Now, the law states that even passive bystanders who are witnesses to sati are culpable for the crime.

There were two recent cases, in 2006, but they happened when the wife evidently was suicidal, and in fact either forestalled or resisted efforts to save her:

The first case:

Link

Villagers say Prem Narayan died on Monday morning. His body was set alight by his family and villagers, after which people left for home.

They say Janakrani left her house after returning from the cremation telling people she had to attend to some work.

Madhya Pradesh
                      When villagers went looking for her they found her dead on the pyre, they said.
                      The second case:

Link

The officer said, "Since Lakhan's body was in a highly decomposed state, it was taken straight after the post-mortem for cremation. Vidyawati came down to the cremation ground on the pretext of offering her last homage to her husband, but no sooner was the pyre in full flames than she jumped into it."

Eyewitnesses told the police that one of her relatives did make an attempt to pull Vidyawati out, but failed to do so. Vidyawati was soon reduced to ashes before the eyes of scores of villagers who had gathered to attend the funeral.
                      In neither of these cases was the woman compelled to do anything, so it is debatable whether or not they constitute the traditional "evil" sati, where the woman is forced onto the pyre by her relatives or by social pressures.

Comment

Do you have any idea whatsoever about Ramdev, or are you relying on arse-pedia?
                        Dude, you posted the link.
                        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Nothing, really. It's been illegal since the time Raja Ram Mohun Roy got it outlawed, and the last time it happened for which clear documentation exists was a case in the year I was born (1987), and all the people accused were acquitted, because they could not be proved to be glorifying sati.. Now, the law states that even passive bystanders who are witnesses to sati are culpable for the crime.

There were two recent cases, in 2006, but they happened when the wife evidently was suicidal, and in fact either forestalled or resisted efforts to save her:

The first case:

Link

The second case:

Link

In neither of these cases was the woman compelled to do anything, so it is debatable whether or not they constitute the traditional "evil" sati, where the woman is forced onto the pyre by her relatives or by social pressures.

How do you know that there aren't still cases of this in the countryside?
                          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Etchy is a TV evangelist?

Comment

Originally posted by Ecthy
                              Etchy is a TV evangelist?

I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

What's the dot for?

Comment

Working...
                                X