Let's do a test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's do a test

When they hang Saddam, how about no one celebrates it? I'm sure it's almost unavoidable to feel that it was to be done, but I think this is a great test for everyone. It's not like you can fail this test by celebrating though. So that's not it.

But I just find it interesting, since most people will do like a celebration thing, how about not doing it? My reasoning is, first of all, I don't think he is worthy of celebration. He isn't powerful enough to give me much feeling. It's just a news in a whole bunch of news world.

How about it? Can anyone avoid the temptation?
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I'm thinking of Tommy Smother's singing Hangman:

Hangman, hangman, slack your rope.
      Hangman, hangman, slack your rope.
      Slack it for a---accckkkggghh!

Comment

Oh mama, I'm in fear for my life from the long arm of the law
        Lawman has put an end to my runnin'
        And I'm so far from my home

Oh, Mama, I can hear you a cryin'
        You're so scared and all alone
        Hangman is comin' down from the gallows
        And I don't have very long

The jig is up, the news is out, they finally found me
        A renegade who had it made, retrieved for a bounty
        Nevermore to go astray, this will be the end today
        I'm a wanted man

Oh, Mama, I've been here on the lam
        And had a high price on my head
        Lawman said get dead or alive
        I was for sure he'd shoot me dead.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

The test result so far:

Person not celebrating 1 (myself)
          People celebrating even before it has actually happened 2 (everyone who has answered so far)

HMmm..
          In da butt.
          "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

It was a beautiful sentiment though, Pekka.

Comment

I'd never celebrate anyone's death. (Maybe my own... if the afterlife turns out to exist and be a nice place...)

Comment

Well here's the thing, I really don't have a problem with this criminal getting this punishment. If anyone deserves it, I bet it's this guy.

Just thinking about it.. "I order you to die".. seems outside my field. I'd have to provoke him first though. Maybe he attacks me and I have to defend myself, that's another story. But right now, I only see an old man, prolly having some mental problems, being chased to the corner and stuff. I just don't see what the big deal is, even though I know it's a big deal for many and for good reasons too. For me, it's not a big deal.

But I wouldn't protest thsi thing, and I don't think we'll see a whole lots of protests around the world either. I might protest for someone elses DP though. Depends what they did.
                In da butt.

Comment

Well if they got the death penalty, that really narrows the possibilities.

Comment

Right, if you have DP, then this is definitely the case to use it.
                    In da butt.

Comment

Celebrating death
                      THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                      AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                      AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                      DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

not celebrating, but i don't plan to lose any sleep over it.
                        "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

I do not celebrate the deliberate taking of a human life. Even Saddam's.
                          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

I certainly do. There are consequences for every action.
                            Did the thought never occur to Hussein, "Whew!! I get caught after doing these things, my ass is in a bind"?
                            I mean, come on.

Comment

The consequences for Saddam are the same whether you celebrate it or not.

Bloodlust isn't a good thing, regardless of who quenches the thirst.

Comment

Working...
                              X